.257 roberts Question

wm5l

I have a early Browning A-bolt in .257 Roberts. I don't know if it makes much difference but to me it seem like I have to push the bullets WAY back in the case to get them to go into the magazine. This drives me crazy because the cartridge seems so short to me now. I want to leave them out a little but I cant get them to feed. So I resolve to just using it like a single shot. I still cant get a loaded round out of the short action. I said all that to ask this question. What would you do if this gun was your dads and it has sentimental value to it? I kind of want to keep the .257 size. I like the range of bullets for this caliber. I guess I could always rechamber or rebarel to a 250 savage(250-3000) or an 250 Savage AI. Am I just wasting money for nothing? Maybe I just want an excuse to put a better ,fancy barrel on it. Any thoughts on it? light bulb

257 Roberts

If it were I, I would leave that gun alone and buy something different. Sentimental value alone is worth the leaving. I wished I had kept my Dads guns the way they were to pass along to my kids. I did mods and barrels and stocks and now they arent the same. The 257 is a great round and there must be a reason that they will not fit in the mag correctly. What length are you loading to? If you are seating to the lands, they most likely wont fit the mag. But check the overall length in the book and then check a factory load and see what the loaded difference is in lenth overall. If thats the difference, then most likely you either have to load them shorter or shoot single.
Im not the guru on this, so hopefully somone else will chime in and figure it out. But I would keep the gun and get another, in say a 30 cal to play with and have the 257 to take out and shoot for memories.
Stacy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.