257 Roberts improved

Nomad

Just got a 257 Roberts to go shooting with. Plan on using it on varmints and up to whitetail and pronghorn size animals.
Could use some reloading data for a varmint size game and deer size the
loads would be under 300 yards. Open country hunting in desert lands.
Thanks...

I load 100 grain Nosler BT over VN-160 at about 3,000 FPS, in my Sako- 75. Seems to work very well on on Whitetail. They never seem to move more than 10' once hit.

Michael

I run 48gn of IMR-4350 with the Nosler BT and get close to 3200fps out of mine. Spark them with Fed210GM primers. Shot a 180lb Whitetail at about 300yds and it only took one step and then hit the ground. This load is just under max in warm weather in my rifle, so approach with caution.

By the way, which version of "improved" do you have, the RCBS or the A.I. ? The Rcbs has a 28deg. shoulder I believe while the A.I. version has a 40 deg shoulder. You will probably run into pressure signs faster with the RCBS version. Mine is the A.I. version. Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler all have some load info in their manuals. Hornady is the RCBS version and the others are the A.I. version. Good Luck.

Tap, Thank you the information one of my choices.
Just bought some brass the other day will find out
more information....

I shoot a 25-06 and the 257 Bob IMP is close in velocity. As for deer bullets I really like the 117 Sierra. I very seldom have a deer move out of it's tracks when hit with it in the front shoulder. As for varmint bullets the 87 gr. Sierra is a bomb on groundhogs. These bullets are very accurate for me and they cost about half what the Nosler BT's do. As for powders everything I read says one of the 4350's or 4831 for you Bob IMP. There is just something special about most any .257 caliber rifle and DRIT killing of deer.

I prefer the Seirra 87 gn. bullets for varmints. It does not blow them up like the 75 gn. bullets, but shoots alittle flatter and does the job. For deer size game eather of the 100 gn bullets or eather of the 117 gn bullet work well. Just use the Sierra manual and use what shoots best in your gun.

I`ll just tell you the bullets I prefer. I shoot a 257 AI and like the Sierra 87 gn. best for varmints. Their 75 HP are also great and blow up more especially at longer ranges, but the 87`s shoot a little flatter and are good killers. I never hunted big game with mine but did load up some Sierra 117 gn. bullet for a friend when I loaded him my gun to go antlope hunting. He got 1 shot at alittle over 400 yrds and bang flop the hunt was over, or so he told me.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts