257 Mag First shots

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by sniperjwt, Mar 11, 2010.

1. sniperjwt

sniperjwt Well-Known Member

Well after having my 257 Weatherby Mag for about a month and a half now i finally got a chance to go out and shoot it. I did however get a Axiom stock put on it. This was the first time i have ever sighted in a gun from the prone position. The first two shots were very high and left but thats ok they were my fouling shots. I moved the scope then shot again. This time it was about 2 inches high and 3 inches right. I adjusted the scope again and then shot and it was pretty darn close to the dot so i shot 2 more times. The second of the 3 shots i punched the trugger and it went a little left. I was a little taken back by how the gun "jumped". There was very little recoil that i felt anyway but it seemed the muzzle jumped up more than what i am used to. I am not sure if it was because of shooting off a bipod or if that is the affect of the recoil reducing Axiom stock. Did not seem to affect the accuracy any just took a little getting used to. I had not shot the gun before putting this stock on it so i cant tell you how much the stock reduces recoil but like i said before it did not hardly kick at all. After i got done with those last three shots i decided to walk around and see if any groundhogs were out. Well i topped a hill and seen one running back to his hole. I pulled up and shot him. He was only about 40 yards away and the 100 grain bullet going about 3500fps really did a number on him. Unfortunatly my phone broke so i could not take a picture and i was not going to bring him back home to take a picture of him. Almost forgot the group was .675.

[​IMG]

2. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

Gee, nice shoot'n. How far away was the box? Might-a-bin 6' :rolleyes: for all we know?? How about a pic of your new cannon??

joseph

3. sniperjwt

LOL sorry i did not put the range. It was 100 yards. Actually it was probably about 105 because i stepped it off and i always take very long steps. Anyway here is a pic of the gun

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  4. joseph

joseph Well-Known Member

WOW that's wild looken and a good shooter too. Good luck with it and keep the barrel warm. gun) gun)

joseph

5. 3fingervic

3fingervic Well-Known Member

Is that barrel free floating?:D It looks like you could carry that gun all day. What does she weigh?

6. LRSickle

LRSickle Well-Known Member

That's great shooting.
    Let's hear the details of your load.

7. liltank

liltank Well-Known Member

You didn't follow the directions on the box. "Fragile" must be french for grand prize. LOL! :D

Tank

8. sniperjwt

I did handle it with care but it did not say anything about shooting. The way i see it shooting is different than handleing it.:D

9. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

257 weatherby is a great caliber. Enjoy.

10. dust

dust Well-Known Member

That stock has made me want to build a Rem 700 in 223 with the Mini 14 bottom metal. Wish they offered it for Savages.

11. Chopaka81

Chopaka81 Well-Known Member

I liked the looks of your rifle enough that I just ordered a Axiom rifle stock for my Vanguard.

12. Chas1

Chas1 Well-Known Member

A unique looking stock and some good shooting. Enjoy.

13. winmag

winmag Well-Known Member

Maybe I missed it, did you say how much(or little) it weighed? Nice shootin by the way

14. trueblue

trueblue Well-Known Member

sniperjwt,
    After looking at your post again, I would recommend changing rings to get your scope down closer to the barrel. This will give you a better cheek weld and more relaxed position when shooting. You will be more accurate and shoot better groups.