.257 Frustration continues!!!!!!!!!!!!!

300winnie

For those that have followed my .257 Weatherby story you know my frustrations, for those that haven't it can be found with a simple search of my user name.

Anyway, I finally got a chance to see what the new Fibermark stock would do for me. I screwed it on "stock" to see what it would do before bedding, floating etc.

In addition to putting the new stock on, I cleaned the begeezers out of the barrel to make sure it was down to the bare metal before trying to do load work up with the 100 grain Barnes TSX.

Following are four of the groups I fired with the gun the other night. The groups with "4831" on them are the IMR version.

None were remotely acceptable, but how about the target with 76.5 grains of RL25...two bullets making one hole and then one 6 inches to the right...holy smokes

So, what is going on with this beast? I am getting mighty frustrated with this smokepole...almost to the point of throwing in the towel on it.

All groups were fired at 100 yards. The smallest group was right at 2" CtoC with the 75.5 grains of RL25.
DCP_1637.jpg

DCP_1636.jpg

DCP_1635.jpg

DCP_1634.jpg

300winnie,
The only time I've seen this (other than with buckshot...LOL) is when the erector sytem was going out on my scope. Have you tried a "Known" good scope?....JohnnyK.

Did you ever get any real Weatherby brass or are you still shooting the recycled 7mag brass?

I have found my 257's work best with IMR-7828 and CCI-250 primers.

Hired Gun,

Still shooting the 7mm Remington Magnum brass (brand new) sized and once fired.

have you ever had the barrel slugged.. to check the actual dia.
had a hornet once won't shot .224 worth a %$#@!%#%!#...
.223 dia made it almost a one holer
.. had a friend tha had a 300 whby he floated the barrel an the gun never shot well again, there are/were two little dimples in the front of the stock pressuer points... should have never touch it he said...
i guess your scope is i tip top shape mounts an rings are all solid ?

300 Winnie - I took time to read some of the past posts on this problem rifle - but admittedly not all of them. As a firearms/sniper instructor, I do a fair amount of troubleshooting on various rifles - but I'm not a gunsmith. Here's some questions and suggestions that might help, but it's hard diagnosing these things without getting my paws on the rifle:

1. Have you tried any factory ammo through the rifle? Something with a conventional bullet, not a Nosler Partition, not a Barnes TSX? If not, try some. Am not knocking your handloading, it's simply nice to have a baseline from which to work. A box of factory ammo can provide that baseline.

2. Have you tried any bullets known for their accuracy, such as the Sierra Matchking or Gameking? Very simple, forgiving bullets that respond well to a wide variety of seating depths and powder charge weights. These bullets are known to be accurate in a wide variety of rifles. I'd recommend starting with the 100 grain Gameking. Your 100 gr Barnes TSX is a great bullet and I've used it to take two mulies, but it's not necessarily the easiest bullet to work with. Being soft copper, it will also foul the barrel faster than a conventional gilding metal jacketed bullet.

3. Likewise the brass - I'll second the suggestion to try some factory built .257 Wby brass - and yes I've loaded for the .257 Wby before, including making brass from necked - down, blown out .300 H&H stuff, back in the old days. Get some factory brass, properly prep it, and load from there.

4. When you installed the new stock did you indeed use an inch-pound torque wrench? Same with the scope mounts? It's not mandatory, but we're searching for answers here and we need to eliminate variables.

5. Have you checked it with another scope? One that is proven and known to be good?

6. What's the trigger like? Is it consistent? Most Weatherby triggers are pretty good - but if there's any grit in there, or if the trigger has a harsh pull, it's very easy to produce a wide left-right shift on the target.

7. Are you letting the barrel cool between shots? Between groups? A slim sporter barrel, with magnum charge weights, really heats up quickly and will often start throwing shots.

8. Gently asked... How good/experienced a shot are you?

When my rifles aren't shooting well, it's generally my fault. I've had good days when I've been on the firing line at a match and have shot right up there with the "high master" shooters in the NRA highpower prone game. I've even won a few minor matches. I've had other days when I thought I really ought to just sell my guns and take up gardening. It's well worthwhile to have somebody who really knows their stuff take a turn behind your rifle and shoot it a bit.

Best of luck with the rifle! Regards, Guy

Well $#*%....

I just set into checking my mounts and rings to see if they were tight and guess what?

All the ring screws were tight...as expected.

First mount screw I tried to tighten seemed slightly loose (rear screw on front mount). The rest seemed tight. So, I decided I would take them all out and put loctite on them and reset. When I got them all out the threaded hole that I took the loose screw out of sure seemed shallow. I looked at the screw and sure enough it had sheared in half...probably when I set it originally...probably causing me all of my frustration!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing that has me wondering if that is not the problem is it doesn't look like there is any wear on the blueing to signify it moving, but I'm sure it doesn't take much to move P.O.I. much.

I'm guessing I found my problem...now I have to figure out how to get the other one out. Any ideas?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions so far...maybe we are getting somewhere now.

If I remember correctly, 0.001" on the end of a base = about 1 MOA. Not sure though......

Am I understanding correctly that one of the mounting screws is twisted off? With the remainder remaining in the threads? It would be best if the remaining part of the screw was in a hole that went completely through. However, it sounds like it may have bottomed out when initially installed.:(

That's a spot of bother.

I'd recommend a smith do the work. Jim Hall is in your neck of the woods. His cards are at Ski's.

It should be about a 10 minute job. but it may ultimately require redrilling to a larger size. Don't know.

Hang in there, you'll get it....

My hunting buddy bought a new accumark in Sept it would not shoot sent it back to weatherby seems there was a problem with some barrels ...Give them a call, although changing pressure points and bedding may cause warranty problems,a phone call to Weatherby may give some satisfaction

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.