.257 bullet choice: 110 grain AccuBond?

Bob33

I recently acquired an Ultralight .257 Weatherby to be used for antelope at distances from 100 to approximately 500 yards. In the past I've used a 25-06 and 115 grain Combined Technology Ballistic Silvertip bullets, with good success and no complaints.

The most accurate load in my Weatherby, so far, is a load with 110 grain Nosler AccuBond bullets. I am getting 3/4 inch groups at 3450 ft/second. I have tried several loads with the 115 grain ballistic tip that shoot at around 1" at 100 yards, at around 3400 ft/second.

Would I be making a mistake to settle on the AccuBond load? The ballistic coefficient, according to Nosler, is .418 while the ballistic coefficient of the 115 grain ballistic tip is .453.

NABs

I personally feel you'll be as well suited as you were when using the 115 NBTCT. The true test will be at close range where any bullet will be tested to the extreme at that velocity. I'd rather have the 110AB on a close range shot than the 115 NBT, but both will work through the ribs.

If you need a better bullet that the 110NAB, I'd suggest you try Barnes TSX. My 7mm Wea copper fouled badly when pushing 140 TSXs at 3400, of course each rifle will be different and yours may not foul too much with the TSXs at those speeds.

Good Luck.

Reloader

You give up a bit in BC but you state your accuracy has improved with this bullet.

Terminally, the 110 gr Accubond will retain MUCH more weight after impact then the 115 gr CT. I would be amazed if the 110 gr did not out penetrate the 115 while still offering the quick expansion and bullet energy transfer that the Ballistic Tips are famous for.

In my opinion, the Accubond is about the best long range big game bullet from a commerical bullet maker. If they shoot in the rifle at hand, they are what I would recommend and use for a commerical bullet.

Kirby Allen(50)

I have a 25 WSSM barrel for my Savage 16FCSS. In the 2006 hunting season I used to to take a deer and a 250+ lb hog using the 110 Accubonds. Deer was shot through the ribs/heart/lungs at around 120 yds and hog was shot at around 75 yards, both one shot kills.

The 110 Accubond performed great at close range.

Oldfamily, I am currently using 75 grains of Retumbo with the 110 Accubond. I've been testing the slower Hodgdon powders like H1000 and Retumbo so far. I'm partial to Hodgdon's extreme powders.

With that 257 mag it will not matter which bullet you use out to 500 yards much. If you sight in 3 inches high at 100 yards you are only down about 7 inches at 400 thats only 7, 1/4 minute clicks and 21 inches at 500 is 15, 1/4 minute clicks. Those 257 Mags shoot pretty flat and they hit hard on antelope or deer. I have a 25-06 that I use for deer over bean fields in NC and I love the 117 Sierra bullets. BANG FLOP. With any bullet most any 25 caliber is a real killer.

i have had great sucsess with accubond and bergers in my 25-06 and 7mm wsm. dont be worried about shooting an accubond this year...

Beare and Boar

Shot a Black Bear with out of a 300RUM with 200 gr Accubond. Also a Big Boar in the head with 140 gr Accubond from 270 WSM . Both animals didn't care for the accubonds.

While I can't comment on the Weatherby, I changed the load after many years of shooting the 115gr PT over to the 110 AB when I passed my 25-06 over to my daughter two years ago. The load is running just under 3200fps and easily groups around 1/2" at 200yds. I could run the velocity up a little more but with that accuracy there is no need.

She has since taken several feral hogs a couple of yotes and a nice 10 point nice buck this past season using the AB all with DRT results at various ranges.

These were almost in her lap when they jumped them from some thick brush. First shot was around 5yds and the second might have been out around 50 at most.
450277015krqumt_ph.jpg

This one was over 200yds at night while checking a hog trap with a spotlight. He was hit just above and between the eyes. Trust me this is the pretty side.
483742075kBFSYd_fs.jpg

She got this decent buck the last day of the season this past year at around 150yds. I was very impressed with the internal damage done with out having to trim away any meat. Entrance was just behind the left shoulder and exit was through the left. the hole was about the size of a quarter.
P1050284.jpg

I just had a 25-06 A.I built and depending on how well they shoot that may also be my choice of bullet. I also have a few of the heavy Wildcats to give a whirl.

Good luck with your rig, I am sure that if you go with the AB you will not be disappointed by the results. If they had been out 20 yrs ago they would have been my mainstay for the other rifle I am sure. A 120gr in this caliber would be awesome.

Using the 110 accubond you will not be settleing for anything. This is a great bullet and will definately put the smackdown on medium sized game. I use IMR4831 a CCI-BR2 and winchester brass. I took a really nice southern whitetail at 240 yds this year and bullet performance was outstanding. Like flipping off a switch.
Skip

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts