257....BST or TTSX??

Dalebow

I picked up a nice accumark on here in 257 weatherby. Going to use it for antelope and mule deer, Ive used the 80gr TTSX but thinking about sticking with the 115 BST that it shoots well. Speed and trajectory goes to the TTSX, BC and weight go to the BST.............Your thoughts?

My son uses the 80 gr TTSX in his .243. In Africa last year he killed 2 Lechwe with 1 shot. A younger one jumped in front of the older bull as he pulled the trigger. Bullet went through the neck of the younger and all of the way through the older bull's body. Both dead. The 80 gr will work fine for Mule deer. You could compromise if you wanted. I just checked Barnes website and they have the .25 caliber TTSX's available in the 100 gr weight. Approximately half way between your 2 chosen bullets. Higher BC. than the 80 gr. Try it. I'll bet you like it. Bruce

Bruce
I shot my rifle goat 2010 with an 80Gr TTSX at 287 yards and he never moved, damage was amazing, I like the flat trajectory of the 80 grain TTSX, I have a McWhorter 257 that I will be using the 100gr TTSX in it on the hunts where antelope and mule deer overlap with Elk and Black Bear, but for the factory Weatherby I leaning towards the 80gr TTSX:D

I shoot the barnes 100s in 257 stw 3850fps took a 330 bull at 546 one mule deer 618 afew more in the 500 range , kills very quickly. its amazing the damage it does to my six hundred yard steel gong.

I shot a tight 3/8@100 w 115 tsx,and have a box loaded.I have been shooting the 110 Nab. I like the 85 bts for coyotes/wolfs:D I have 3 larger calibers so not my elk rifle.

Why is it whenever i praise Barnes bullets i get shot down but when everybody else praises them nobody says that they arent any good for long range hunting or something like that........

Riley, I like that you are a ambitious kid and are in front of the reloading bench, instead of up to no good,like a lot of kids these days. Part of the reason is the "tackt" of your post. In a thread you came across kind of a all or nothing for Barnes and that is your signature,OK. The bullets that are talked about all have a range of effectiveness that varies for each.No perfect and people choose what they like for end use.Since this is a dedicated LR many choose a bullet with "target" type qualities. I am not anti Barnes and use them in some calibers, and hunting situations. Previous after a long debate thread, I asked what your experience was on elk.Your reply was 0.That fits into the discussions here, how can you have such a strong view without the background.I started reloading at your age, and by time your mine you should be well ahead of me. The majority of my experience is hunting,and have shot most bullets made over the years as many here and opions based on that. As one person it is hard to have enough data for comparison, I only get my basic small handful of tags a year.But I am older and hunt with other successful hunters, like guys my Dads age that have 40-60 bulls under their belts. Myself and friends use to pull 5 bulls out of a drainage year after year, in what I NOW call the good old days.I have been at many a game harvest. Good luck,dont get discouraged,and comminication skills are part of life.

My Dad and i have shot three deer each with Barnes Bullets and they performed flawlessly all were DRT so saying that i dont have a backround with them is not true.

Am not saying that Berger bullets dont work i am just saying that i am against using target bullets for big game hunting and that all bullets have flaws and in my opinion Barnes Bullets have less flaws than Berger.

Last edited:
My Dad and i have shot three deer each with Barnes Bullets and they performed flawlessly all were DRT so saying that i dont have a backround with them is not true.

Am not saying that Berger bullets dont work i am just saying that i am against using target bullets for big game hunting and that all bullets have flaws and in my opinion Barnes Bullets have less flaws than Berger.

Riley, many very knowledgable hunters with many long range kills under their belts have tried to explain things to you. Like above with sp6x6's post.
I am glad to hear of you and your Dads success, but what were the distances? Now I am not picking on you, in fact, I think you are a very sharp young man and I am glad to see you so eager to learn. But this is long range hunting. Most everybody here has a favorite bullet and you have made it very clear that yours is Barnes. Thats great!! But most will tell you they do not choose a Barnes for longer shots. Why? Because many like myself have seen them not expand and pencil through and then spent the rest of the day and 1/2 the next trying to find the wounded elk. And most of the time, by the next day it is too late as the meat has spoiled or the birds and preditors have ruined it. Every bullet has it's place, none are with out flaws, but you are on a Long Range forum downing bullets that work very well as hunting bullets. Your BS about some of them being "Target Bullets" simply shows your lack of actual field experience at longer distances. You are entitled to your opinions, problem is you are debating with guys that know first hand and they are simply sharing data with you in an effort to help you. Again, you are a very sharp young man for a 13 y old. But you come on here recommending bullets for elk and even coastal brown bears and you have never taken either one. I know you have read alot on the net. But repeating what you have heard or read does not qualify you to debate with guys with 20 , 30, 40 or more years of actual field experience. Think about it! Then put some of that ambition to work in a more productive manner. I hope you realize what I and some others here are trying to say to you. Cuz I think you are a good kid.

Jeff

Jeff
the ones that penciled through what was aprox impact velocity?

I ran the numbers on gseven and with a 280 grain lrx with a b.c. of .667 and pushing them 2750 fps (which i could easily do with a 338 Lapua), 40 degrees, 30% humidity, and 23.09 absolute pressure. they would hit the 1800 fps mark at 960 yards and with 2016 ftlbs of energy.

Barnes claims that the lrx will expand down to 1600 fps (i plan on testing this when they arrive on my door step). and they hit the 1600 fps mark at 1200 yards with 1596 ftlbs of energy.

i find these either one of these distances plenty far for hunting.

Recent Posts