.257 Barnes TSX loads for a 25-06

Rancher49

My rifle is a Rem 700 24" barrel. I have been reading about these Barnes TSX bullets for my 25-06. What kind of results are you getting with these?
I have read somewhere that with the right powder & load they will do 3400 fps with good accuracy out of a 24" barrel. Is this realistic or an exageration?
A friend of mine says they really kill on elk.
I'd sure like to hear some feedback about these bullets & loads. I might give
them a try. All I hunt is Whitetail bucks in open country and Bighorn Rams all within an our drive from home.

Yes!!!!! Another one!

I love my TSX 168gr in my 300WM. The terminal balistics on antelope and deer equal or blow away my 180gr Hdy load. You will be impressed! All my kills DRT. Even did what I expected out of my 6.8SPC on a mulie, and white tail (DRT!).

There are those on here will tell you they aren't so great out too far, start failing to open up, etc. I don't know about that mine work fine out to 250-300yds.

Then the others will tell you they don't shoot accurate like Bergers, SMKs, and AMax. I can't tell you about that either.

TSX's are plenty accutate out of the two rifles I've employed them, on game. I haven't tried to shoot them past 400yds, or compared them past 200.

OH do your paperwork, at different yds. They fly a different trajectory, you will be pleased. Use normal load data, and do a ladder test, they do tend to go faster out of the barrel.

My advice would be to keep your bullet selection on the lighter side than what you would choose for a "conventional" bullet. I woud think the 100grn would work perfectly for white tail & sheep, keep in mind they are solid copper & tend to create some nasty fouling when shot out of the same barrel as "Conventional" guilding metal bullets. Clean your bore before shooting your Barnes Bullets & you will have NO problems; if you can get the TTSX I would recommend them over the TSX for the simple reason of more reliable expansion at extended distances. Load your bullet to the higher end of the spectrum as far as velocity goes (safely of course) & watch in awe as you experience more DRT performance than you have ever seen (as long as you do your part).

Load the 100 grain ttsx and you will have an excellent sheep rifle. If you hunt elk with the 25-06 use the swift scirroco or a monometal bullet such as the Barnes, swift A-frame, GS, etc.

Yes 3400+ is achievable in a 24" barrel. I got there with rl22. RL 17 might do a tad better, but I haven't tried it in a standard 25-06. My boy killed his first buck this year with a 100 ttsx and it was a one shot drop affair at 315 yards. Was duly impressed by the amount of soup in the chest cavity from the mono metal Barnes.

I'm loading the 100gr tsx & ttsx over Varget and get excellent results. I'd not hesitate to hunt anything in north America with. I've taken numerous wild boar here in Ga with it and it is one incredibly tough bullet. Seat it deeper than normal. Most of my rifles like them.050 -.070 off the lands.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.