257 AX

dr14

Hey Kirby - Have you built a 257 AX yet and how did it perform if so . Also how would it compare to a 257 STW?

Did one test barrel, identical to the STW in same length barrels. In fact seems to produce a bit less pressure at same velocites with same bullets but that goes to reason as it is a bit larger in case capacity.

Powder bridging is an issue still. Not to the degree that the Allen Mag is but still an issue. Ramshot magnum has proven to be a good choice. Same burn rate as Retumbo basically but with no powder bridging issues.

Happy with the one test rifle so its being offered as a chambering option form APS.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty

Can you build a 257 AX off a rem 700 270 chambering?? Only reason I ask is because I am already thinking of options to rebarrel this down the road. I like the idea of a 6.5-06AI, but I also like .257", and your 257 AX really intrigues me as I've always wanted a 257 STW, but matches that speed in a shorter action. If my .270 would accomodate that .300 Dakota case, I would almost rather go that route.

RemMan,

Easiest way is to use an HS Precision DM system and then basically its a drop in with a little bolt case opening work. You can make the factory feed rails work but there is a bit of machining required.

There is also the 6.5mm AX and 270 AX as well. All based on the 300 Dakota case. All will equal the STW versions in the same caliber. I have not built a 270 AX yet but the other two work very well so I suspect the large bored 270 would work just as well if not better.

The 6.5mm will drive a 140 gr Parition out at a comfortable 3300 fps in a 26" barrel.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

How much is that HS precision DM magazine? Where do you find it at? I have never seen it anywhere, or really heard of it. Now that you say 3300fps is achievable with 140g's out of a 26" tube, thats got me seriously rethinking my consideration for the 6.5 AX. The main reason I was going to go with the 6.5-06 AI was to get 3100fps with the 140g. How would one go about loading for this caliber? My main concern is dies, I can get brass out of midwayusa. I really like the idea of these AX magnums. As you may have heard, I will be joining the army in 2 weeks, so I will actually have some money to spend on a custom rifle. You are going to be getting my rifle, thats for sure. I would almost like to see if I could get your phone # because I might have to have my dad or girlfriend send my rifle to you with my certain requests of what I want, or maybe I can call you and set it up. It might seem kinda hard to get a rifle built while I'm away is all I'm thinking. I want it to be done by our deer/elk season, but of course that all depends on how backed up you are. Thanks for your time.

Sorry about not getting my dads 300 RUM to you for a brake, when he bought his tikka in 7 mag, he pretty much retired and put the 300 RUM away, its just to much gun for him w/out the brake, and the wife says no more money spent on guns right now.

Yes the 6.5 AX is a pretty potent little round. Dies are easy, I send them with the rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Send me an e-mail and we can get contact information exchanges. Getting her by this hunting season??? Will be VERY tight but we can try. Would have to get rolling ASAP.

You can get the HSP DM system directly from them or from MidwayUSA. Great system, use them alot with my AMs.

Let me know.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts