.250" Groups - Is it possible?

i know you are talking ar-15 but i have a ar-10 (rra lar-8). i hand load and i can shoot .250 to .375 all day long and i am not as meticulus in the case prepwork as most. this is also a hunting rifle for me and it has a 16 inch barrel. so far my 165 sgk and 168 a-max have preformed the same way and delivered the same accuracy every time to the bench and afeild.:D

Yo Dan,
No Perry for me this year. When do you head out? Do I have time to send you something for the gang?
Chris.

What did he do to scare people??

When did Feamster give up his career in health care?

Bill Wylde built that rifle, and Bill himself shot his AR's in registered competition. In fact he scared the crowd enough times that one of the organizations put in rules prohibiting the AR. It's hard to get Bill to build rifles these days, and he's sending folks to John Holliger for AR work. There are a lot of folks with Holliger uppers that have shot 1/4" groups. Although John specializes in Service Rifle work with fast twist barrels, John will tell you the best chance to get there is to let him do a build with a slower twist barrel.

my rra will shoot sub.500 most anytime if i read the wind. just shot 1.5 inch 600 yd group this weekend. most days 5 shots in one tiny little hole not bigger than .3 at 100. it actually shoots sub .5 moa better past 100 as i have never shot a group over .500 moa with my loads unless i goofed on a wind read.

My rifle will shoot the .25 inch group on the right day. The 1st load is 168 gr SMK over TAC. The frustrating part it with the same load I shot under the same condition and got group in the .6's. The 2nd load is FACTORY Federal match. Again, while it will do sub 1/4 inch groups. It is not consistent.

BTW, the rifle is a DPMS 308 LR with a Nikon 6-18 in Burris Posi-Lines.

Attachments

• IMG_0596.jpg
    IMG_0596.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0609.jpg
    IMG_0609.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 108
If your looking for a billet lower and don't want to break the bank, check out C3 Defense,
They even have an adjustment under the pistol grip to dial out the play between the upper and lower. I got mine of 150 plus the parts kit.

If your looking for a billet lower and don't want to break the bank, check out C3 Defense,
They even have an adjustment under the pistol grip to dial out the play between the upper and lower. I got mine of 150 plus the parts kit.

Why go to a billet lower? The forged ones work fine.

IMO you're better off spending the funds on a better quality barrel and trigger. For 1/4 MOA I'd probably build one without the gas port drilled and operate it with a side charger initially. If it looked like it was a shooter it would be interesting to then drill the gas port and set it up for a semi-auto and see if that changes the overall accuracy.

Not possible. Done. Rifle is stock Armalite AR10T 24" .308 WIN. Powder IMR 8208XBR. Bullet is 168 SMK. Group is at 100 yards. POA is the bullet hole to the right of the three shot cloverleaf. Dunno what else I can say.
100_4977-1.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.