.25 WSSM - What is the point?

dwm

So I have been checking on the .25 WSSM and come to find out that the factory Winchester loads are almost as fast as my 25-06. I don't understand this. What is the point of releasing a new product like this?

Ok, so they are shorter, so what? That means that they will work in a regular short action REM700 and maybe fit in the magazine.

I just don't get it. Why not up the ante a little and increase the case capacity?

I shot the .25 WSSM this past week and it is a neat little cartridge. Although it is new it does not do anything new - as in improve on .25-06 - 257 Roberts velocities. It is inherently an accurate little sucker and it is fast enough that you are not giving up much even with such a short case. They seem to be getting their actions and side-rails figured out because the little rounds came out of the magazines and chambered much better than some of the bigger WSM's I have shot.

Bottom line is it is another neat cartridge to market and it lets Winchester and Browning make and market very short little actions. The short powder column might be argued as being "better",and the bolt throw is shorter but what the hell, it is marketing, not magic.

Ian M,
Do you think it is inherently more accurate than a standard 25-06?
Are the pressures lower than the 223 and 243 wssm's?

OR are they any more accurate than the 260 (short action) I am planning to have built?

I have also looked into the 223 and 243, the press is good, but everyone else claims the pressures are too high, barrel life suffers and on....

I agree with the original poster of this thread, what is the point, other than to sell new guns? Unless the accuracy is REALLY that great?

thanks Kevin

Kevin,
I doubt that accuracy improvement would be really significant from a factory product - a huge test of dozens of rifles might actually answer that question but the way most factory rifles hit the gunshops I would be doubtfull if a M-70 in .25WSSM shoots better than a .25-06 or a .257. Build a heavy custom rifle and maybe a difference would start to show.

There are so many variables involved in accuracy, not sure how much cartridge design effects as far as factory rifles go. They seem to let some real lemons out, along with a lot of pretty sound rifles. Beats me how anyone can accurately shoot a rifle with loose stock bolts and a 7-8 pound trigger that has significant creep and overtravel
grin.gif

This is the kind of marketing question that drives the gun writers nuts.

Who would have thought that necking down the .22WRF to .17HMR, and then selling them at $90 a brick would create a sensation, or that taking the popular 6.5-.308 and making a standardized .260 Remington out of it would be a flop.

I think these guys are currently in the throw the stuff against the wall and see what sticks mode.

I also think there is a group of hard core .250 fans that want to see their prize caliber on every platform.

So go figure.

D.
smile.gif

[ 02-20-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

DMCI,
Did you know that they have now necked the lowly .22LR rimfire down to .17 cal. also.
Be interesting to see how it competes with the magnum version.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.