• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED 25-06

reking ball

Hi, i was just wondering if i should buy a savage edge stainless xp with a 22" barrel for $469.00 and comes with a scope or a thompson centre venture with a 24" barrel for $450.00 with no scope. What do you suggest for a 25-06?
gun)

I own a few Savage rifles...Really like them...enjoy being able to customize them easily. Having said that...Reading about the Thompson....I would lean towards the Thompson. You get an adjustable trigger, 5R rifling and a 2 inch longer barrel. I liked having a little longer barrel on my .25-06 to take advantage of slower burning powder.

The Savage looks like a great gun.....But I think thompson has a hit on their hands...guess for the money..that would be my choice. This is all IMHO.

Good Luck....Always fun shopping for a new toy...arghhh I mean tool!

Wayne

P.S.

I didn't notice what brand of scope comes with the XP. I would think it's probably not the greatest....you could do better finding a scope on sale or used and invest a little more in the rifle itself.

That price is pretty high for the Edge, and the factory stocks pretty much suck. Before I bought that I would get a Stevens. Either way the package scopes are just basic Bushnell or Simmons scopes.

I love all my Savages but IMO the Edge just hasnt been a hit so far, especially with the Stevens only being $25 or so more, and they have ALOT of available aftermarket parts to fit.

If I had to pick only between the 2 you mentioned, I too think I'd lean toward the TC.

I have done the very same thing. Don't be penny wise, penny foolish. I have purchased rifles for the price and I got just what I paid for. My opinion I would save to buy a better rifle and scope seperate as was said the scope that comes with those package deals may be fine for a 22 rifle but that's it. As for a savage rifle they w/o a doubt make a VG out of the box I would recommend a Savage rifle over most on the maket today, I would also recommend a Howa 1500 or a Weatherby Vanguard, I have seen the Vangurd as low as $399.00. I would buy a used rifle over a new one, I have bought numerous rifles over the net and have been lucky to get a fine rifle the same with scopes. But the final decision will have to be yours. Good Luck. Lou

i would say no to both..both rifles are fairly new and we dont know yet what aftermarket parts will become available...for the money, you can go to dicks sporting goods and get a rem 700 adl....the 700 can be upgraded until your wallet or head bursts, whichever comes first...

and with todays remmies you will have to heavily modify it to shoot beside a savage, vangaurd, howa, or thompson.

That price is pretty high for the Edge, and the factory stocks pretty much suck. Before I bought that I would get a Stevens. Either way the package scopes are just basic Bushnell or Simmons scopes.

I love all my Savages but IMO the Edge just hasnt been a hit so far, especially with the Stevens only being $25 or so more, and they have ALOT of available aftermarket parts to fit.

If I had to pick only between the 2 you mentioned, I too think I'd lean toward the TC.
+1
I have a Remington 700 SPS in 25 06 and with the 26" barrel, it is super accurate. - .5" @ 100 yds. I use Nosler Ballistic Tips over Hodgen 1000 Powder, great combo.