25-06 X-Bolt won't group

RustyRick

I've got a X-Bolt Hunter (wood). I've been handloading for 50 yrs. My goal for a hunting rifle is 1 MOA with 5 shots on sand bags front and back, with a 4X16 Viper scope. Best is 2 MOA or worse. It has a 1/10 twist. Is that my likely problem?

I've ladder tested, live by my Hornady OGIVE Gage. So I've about given up.

Looking at the gun and scope now. It may appear that the recoil lug might be bottomed out in the pocket. The x-Bolt is "glass bedded" at the factory.

Is their a down side to grinding 1/8 off the bottom of the recoil lug?

Last edited:
Looking at the gun and scope now. It may appear that the recoil lug might be bottomed out in the pocket. The x-Bolt is "glass bedded" at the factory.

In reality, there has never been an example of 'factory' bedding which has proven to be worth anything except driving the price of the rifle up.

First, I would check the measurements between the lug and the stock to be sure that there either is or is not any contact between the lug and the stock. Then rip out the factory bedding and have it bedded properly, stress-free. Standard recoil lugs rarely, if ever, require grinding to adjust their depth unless the inlet was done wrong at the factory.

Once you have the rifle/stock relationship straightened out, you can be sure that all the screws, bolts, scope rings and scope mounts are tightened properly. Check your scope to be sure that it hasn't been damaged in such a way as to cause you problems. Switch out the scope with one of known quality just to be sure.

Once you're finished with this you can go about your business of creating an accurate load.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.