25-06 Rem & Retumbo

I would also check out some of the blm in the area. last fall we tried for a couple non typical bucks during archery season. THey were all on private property that we didn't have permission for by the second week of rifle season. missed the first two for deer/elk in other areas. I'm sure you will all have a great time.

Re: 115gr VLD\'s

Mike
I noticed that your results & 6-06 are different & sometimes
that happens. I am curious, the times that you say the bullets did not go in so well, were these shoulder shots, but then again, these Hogs should not have been so big as to have a thick gristle plate. I am just trying to figure out the difference. I will be shooting Whitetail, Antelope & Coyotes/Varmits. We have Hogs at home that I hunt some, but I will be using a different gun for that anyway. Hopefully, we can hear more about the conditions that 6-06 used these bullets.

6-06
Could you please elaborate on this some. I want to make sure
that penetration will be adaquate. Whitetail will be the
biggest animals that I will shoot with this at least this fall.

Re: 115gr VLD\'s

Well the hogs I shot weren't that large to have a big grissle plate. That aside, I guess it might have been the way the bullet reacted to the hide, or bone just under it. Some of the ones we shot, were clean entrances, some that to me didn't go in well, were gaping holes. Either of them left MAJOR damage just inside and on through to the other side. Some dropped like a rock, some left a messy trail to their last step. A couple of through and through rib shot one's, had virtually everything inside turned to jello. This would not have been so much of a problem had it just been the frontal cavity ahead of the diaphram. But the violent shock, for lack of a better term, took out most of the liver and stomach as well.

This is about the average size we try to shoot when doing this sort of testing, this boar was about 90-100 pounds.He dropped to a 117gr SST at 220 yds. Straight through both shoulders point on.

414590673KhmaJz_ph.jpg

These exapmles are just that, and a deer might give totally different results. However, I have found through the years that dropping those smaller hogs will generally give about the same results as shooting a deer. If I am not satisfied with what I see on them, I am not going to use them for deer. This is just "my" way of working out some of the uncertianties in a new bullet or load. Only thing is, the hogs can be shot year round which makes for a good live media, as well as tasty grilled steaks.

When we started working with some of the SST's we shot them for a year before going after deer with them. Not that they aren't a decent bullet, it's just that the folks who own the land I hunt on, do not take anything but trophy deer. If it hits the ground, you had better be prepared to mount it, unless it is a cull or a doe. They generally handle those, so that leaves me with hogs and trophy's. Darn the luck. Well at today's taxidermist prices which do you think I shoot? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I totally understand where your coming from. I been there done that when I went to Co. on my first muley and elk hunt. I took my muley with one shot centered in the white spot on his neck at about 40 yds. I was using my 25/06 and the 115gr Part. He had his neck slightly stretched looking right at me and at the shot he just dropped like a sack of potatoes. I got about 20" of penetration down his neck and into his back. didn't really damage but about a softball sized area of his neck where it went through and into his shoulder area. The rest was easily trimmed up and cleaned up with little waste what so ever. Could I have waited and gotten a different angle, doubtful in the thick cover where he was. Was this the shot I wanted to take, no, but I knew what I had to work with, and knew if I put it where I did, that things would be done with right then.

I have no doubt that they should work just fine on yotes or other vermin. My point was that I personally would rather use something else on a game animal verses that particular bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.