25-06 Rem & Retumbo

I have to agree about Retumbo being a tad slow.

You might give RL-19, Imr-4831, or Ramshot Hunter, or Magnum a try. I have used both the RL-19 and Imr-4831 and got top velocity and accuracy with the 100gr BT's and Barnes-X.

I used Imr-4350 and CCI primers with the Sierra 100's as per their recommendation, and got great accuracy as well as top velocity with that combo.

All above load combos were at or above 3250 fps. and shot under 3/4" at 200 yds.

I just got some of the Ramshot powders a month or so back and am hoping to get out and give some a try soon. From what I have heard it is wonderful.

good luck on your loads

I am using retumbo 55gr with 115VLD Berger in a 6-06 speeds of 3273. and i also shoot 61grs.with 115VLD in 25-06 ALK speeds of 3310

6-06
I will be working up new loads for my 25-06AI when I get it
back. I have been advised not to use lighter Berger's on
Deer which I agree with, but I am interested in the 115VLD
because of the super BC. I would use it this fall on Wyoming
Antelope & maybe Deer here in Arkansas. Have you used this
bullet on Deer or Antelope?

115gr VLD\'s

Well I haven't used them on a deer, but on hogs up to about 150# and out about 200 yds they worked like a 55gr gr BT on a PD. They went in some all right, others not so alright, but once inside, blew up pretty much everything afterwords.

Use your own judgement and do some testing before counting on them for a trophy hunt. There are better bullets which might not have the highest BC's, but will work much better for the game your looking into.

Just my opinions. I would rather sacrigfice a little on velocity or BC, and know what I am using will work under most encountered situations, than to have to worry about it not, and possibly loosing the trophy of a lifetime due to a superficial wound.

Re: 115gr VLD\'s

Thank's Mike, that is the type of info. that I was looking for regarding this bullet & it confirmed my suspicions. My time will be limited when I start load developement for the
.25-06AI so I don't want to play around with something & then find it to be unsuitable. I have used the 115TSX & 120 Nos. Part. in the std. 25-06 with good results so I may go back to those. It is just a matter of trying something different. That leaves the Wildcat bullets or the 110 Nos. Accubond or maybe the 100 TSX.
Thanks!

nomosendero
I have killed many deer,coyotes,hogs,all with deva /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gifstating kills, 115VLD Bergers

Re: 115gr VLD\'s

I am interested in busting a few of the Wildcats as well as the AB's. I have one box of the AB's on hand and am sort of scared to shoot them really. I settled in on those 115 Part.s several years back and have a BUNCH of them from the same lot that I would hate to just stash away for a later date. LOL

That thing just shoots so good like it is I hate to mess with it. But I do need to keep up with the going trend. I bet I could get those 110's rocking out of that thing. One thing that it likes is the faster the better.

Well hopefully tomorrow somtime I will see. I guess that with highs pushing 98 and about 65% humidity, it will be a good time to hit a top load. LOL Nothing like a little extra warmth to keep things interesting.

Sasquatch
We are hunting area 23 in Northwest Wyoming South of Gillette. I have a Buck Antelope tag which I plan on taking with my .25-06AI & the rancher says he has too many Doe, so I bought one of those tags & I will take it with my 30-30AI Contender or if it is too goofy with my Redhawk. The gentleman that owns this ranch has let several of us crazy
"Arkies" come up for the past several years. I used to buy
Mule Deer tags, but the Mule Deer in this area are not impressive & after shooting several in the past, I have
chosen to leave these alone until we find a place with better quality Deer, but the Antelope are fine!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts