25-06 barrel length

redbank

how much of a practical difference does it make from 24" to 26" on a factory gun? I'm looking at a savage 110fp 25-06 for a buddy of mine, and sort of comparing it to the savage 112bvss 25-06, and I just now realized the fp has a 24" barrel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif. I had assumed that it had a 26" barrel.
We're both beginners, him especially (at least I THINK I know something), is he going to notice, or a groundhog going to notice at (hopefully) 500yards? He is wanting to keep up with me and my beloved 112bvss 7 mag (which it seems to be impossible to find a 7 mag bvss nowadays???).
Thanks

It makes a little bit of difference, but not a worlds amount. If you have a target click type scope, all it means is a couple more clicks to add. It would be nice to get the 26" model and shoot the 115g VLD at 3200fps or so. That would do 500 yards easy, and probly 1K.

[ QUOTE ]
(which it seems to be impossible to find a 7 mag bvss nowadays???).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, they discontinued it. I can't recall off the top of my head but maybe they are doing the VLP in 7 mag this year.

Probably 50-60 fps at the very most if all else is equal but it never is. I have seen some 24" factory barrels that are faster then 26" factory barrels with same loads. Not often but enough to know that there is alot more at play then just barrel length when comparing what level of velocity a factory rifle will produce with a certain load.

To be honest, I would not think about the barrel length and get the model that suits your needs best.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.