25-06, 260, 7-08 or opinion

Update, I bought a new savage model 11 260 trophy hunter, swapped the stock out and bottom plastic for a boyds stock and savage bottom metal. the scope is off it now and sent back to Nikon. I took my first white tail, I had to use factory loads due to such short time frame to hunting season. I used fusions, (not impressed with them) although I did get the deer. I don't even notice the recoil when shooting this caliber, thanks for all the recommendations.

my wife uses .243 win in 95 grain fusions. They are tack drivers in her 243, as far as performance goes I am not sure what to think. out of 10 deer, ALL 10 deer were recovered...however, 6 deer did not have pass throughs. All shots were under 275 yards with most being under 150. Of the 6 that did not pass through, I can think of 3 that were definitely under 100 yards. BUT some of them did hit shoulders which might be the culprit for those not passing through. All 6 were perfectly mushroomed and did lots of internal damage. 6 of the 10 deer, dropped right where they stood, 3 ran less than 15 yards and 1 deer managed to run 40-50 yards. The one that ran there was ZERO blood on the ground AND he was found inside a bush. We almost did not find him. So in theory the .243 and fusion combo did it's job, 10 out of 10 deer recoveries, BUT again, without exit wounds you do not tend to get good blood trails so I am not sure what to think?

my wife uses .243 win in 95 grain fusions. They are tack drivers in her 243, as far as performance goes I am not sure what to think. out of 10 deer, ALL 10 deer were recovered...however, 6 deer did not have pass throughs. All shots were under 275 yards with most being under 150. Of the 6 that did not pass through, I can think of 3 that were definitely under 100 yards. BUT some of them did hit shoulders which might be the culprit for those not passing through. All 6 were perfectly mushroomed and did lots of internal damage. 6 of the 10 deer, dropped right where they stood, 3 ran less than 15 yards and 1 deer managed to run 40-50 yards. The one that ran there was ZERO blood on the ground AND he was found inside a bush. We almost did not find him. So in theory the .243 and fusion combo did it's job, 10 out of 10 deer recoveries, BUT again, without exit wounds you do not tend to get good blood trails so I am not sure what to think?
I'm of a similar mind but the truth is , if they run no farther than that no blood trail is necessary and if they run farther than that odds are you will have a pretty good blood trail.

Without pass throughs though it just takes longer for enough blood to leak out of the body to give you a good trail.

I like a caliber sized hole on entry and about 2" of exit wound every time but that could only happen in a perfect world.

So far I've been very satisfied with the fusions in my .260 AR with several dozen dead coyotes and 9 deer piled up all at ranges from 140-over 600yds.

The small doe I shot was about 120lb and around 75 yards away, with no pass through. The deer ran about 150 yards with no blood trail, but I was able to watch her through the open woods. I'll grant she was angling towards me so it was not a perfect broad side shot.

You got 2 .30's and a 7mm.......You're definitely missing a ¼-bore in your stable.

.25-06 Ackley Improved sounds like the perfect club your missing.

I love mine. Blistering velocities with the Berger 115 VLD's with IMR 7828 SSC and Federal 210M primers.

I finally get to agree with Mudrunner on a quartebore!

He's right! though I am glad you are enjoying your .260

It hurts bad. I love the 7-08 and the 25-06. When i take my 25-06 into the field I wish I had one of my 7-08's. They both lay them down tastily. The 7-08 has a little more range but for what I shoot they both work best.

Dilemma. Just glad I have both calibers and then some.
SnT

I always start the decision making process with the bullet offering for the caliber. So 6.5 is the winner in this category.

The OP did exactly that!

Attachments

• Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    Like_zps00ba1bd0.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.