243Win, H4350, 95gr Nosler BT OCW Results

coues7

Just completed an OCW for my daughters Savage Max 1 Predator in 243 Win. I'm quite impressed with the gun. I shot my test using H4350 and 95gr Nosler BT's. I'm thinking that somewhere between 41.5 and 43.0 is my sweet spot. Thoughts?

IMG_0947.jpg

If I had shot the 41.5 & 42 group I would first see if I could duplicate them. Them I would check my velocity. If I like it I would change the bullet depth just to see what it would do to the group. If I didn't like the velocity I was getting I would then go to the 43 grain load and work with it. The 41.5 & 42 are good looking groups.

Velocities.jpg

Here are my velocities associated with each shot. For the original picture the charge weights are as follows:

Top Target:
1. 40.0gr (top center)
2. 40.5gr (top right)
3. 41.0gr (bottom left)
4. 41.5gr (bottom center)
5. 42.0gr (bottom right)

Bottom Target:
1. 43.0gr (top center)
2. 42.5gr (top right)

I would go back and revisit 41.5, 42, and 42.5 again but change the seating depth by 0.010", and do direct comparison with these results. I'm betting your ES, and SD with change some better and some worse but the telling tail would show up in your groups as well.:)

Current setup is:

Winchester Brass
FGMM 210M Primers
95gr Nosler BT
Seated to 2.248" (to ogive)
0.010" off lands measured with Hornady Bullet Comparator

Last edited:
When I first looked at this I thought the velocities looked a little high.I've not used H4350 myself.The data I have shows 39.0 to be amax load@ about 3070 fps.This is great if you can do it.I don't claim to be an expert,but I would like to see your brass.

When I first looked at this I thought the velocities looked a little high.I've not used H4350 myself.The data I have shows 39.0 to be amax load@ about 3070 fps.This is great if you can do it.I don't claim to be an expert,but I would like to see your brass.

Nosler states 41.5gr to be max load so 1.5gr above that can certainly be ok in some rifles, but yea precautions should be taken.:)

Nosler states 41.5gr to be max load so 1.5gr above that can certainly be ok in some rifles, but yea precautions should be taken.:)
with 90 grain hodgdon # 26 tops out at 44.0 grain h4350
with a 100 grain hodgdon # 26 tops out at 43.0 grain h4350

I'll give people crap if they are several grains over the crusher data out of books like this, but some of the psi data is a bit light. Especially for the 7rem, 357 mag, and a few others that really should be a few Kpsi higher with psi measurements.

He's definately stout and shouldn't push it further, but I don't think he'll be blowing primer pockets soon.

with 90 grain hodgdon # 26 tops out at 44.0 grain h4350
with a 100 grain hodgdon # 26 tops out at 43.0 grain h4350

I'll give people crap if they are several grains over the crusher data out of books like this, but some of the psi data is a bit light. Especially for the 7rem, 357 mag, and a few others that really should be a few Kpsi higher with psi measurements.

He's definately stout and shouldn't push it further, but I don't think he'll be blowing primer pockets soon.
I took it out of Nosler's #6 manual, hehe depends on who you ask ;) I've noticed in most of my rifles that I can go 1-2 over before I see any sign of pressure. With the 357 I have an old Herters power mag it was designed for the 44mag , they just made smaller holes for the 357, that **** thing will handle some STOUT loads!

I'm sorry if I sounded a little disrespectful on my last reply, it was not my intention.I did find on old Hogden load data book which showed 43.0 as max,but they have a web page which has 39.0.Same company,different data.
I've loaded for 4 different 243 win's and never got the velocity that you had.I am guessing the barrel was 26 in.I don't think it was in the original post.

I load 42 grains of IMR 4350 behind a 95 gr BT I'm getting 2950 out of a 22" barrel no signs of pressure visible. I plan on going up a little more in powder just to see. I get consistent 3/4 groups out of a Tikka M595. So I feel these loads should be safe. My Sierra manual states that the max is 41.7 gr so I'm not far over.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.