243win, 240 Weatherby ,243wssm,243AI

Diago

Hi All:

I would like to compare the ballistics of these four cartridges. Is there a web site with ballistics tables I could use. Also a chart for recoil on these cartridges.

Thank you!

Jim

I don't know a web site that will help but from my experiance with three of the 4 this is what I have found.
243 win , 243Ai , 240Wby all are great rounds for deer and long range varmints I have had all three and a 6mm-06Ai , and I now only have 2 , 243Ai.s. The differance in recoil between the three is so slight that you probably won't notice the 240Wby is packing a bit more powder so the recoil is slightly higher and muzzle blast is a little more but not much.
Personaly my vote goes to the 243Ai because their is great brass out their from Lapua ,the case shape offers a little bit more powder and a good bit longer case life than the standard 243 and the pressure seems to go up slower in my guns with the Ai case.
The 240Wby can honestly run a 100gr bullet out of a 26" barrel at 3300fps with no problem or sign of pressure and decient accuracy , bet accuracy was at the 3200fps range , I have stoked it up to 3500 but accuracy went ot hell fast.
The best I could get out of a standard 243 before pressure got high enough to flatten primers was 3250+ and accuracy was at about 3000fps
My Long range 243Ai is built on a Rem 700 short action and was built to shoot the 105gr A-max ,it has a 1-8 twist Hart barrel at 28" , best accuracy is at a velocity of just over 3200fps.
My other 243Ai is built for shooting deer and it wears a 26" barrel and has a 1-10 Hart barrel , bets accuracy comes from a 95gr Nosler Ballistic tip at a velocity of 3200+fps. It also likes 75gr V-maxes at right around 3800fps.

The 243Ai will do just about everything the 240wby will with less fuss and cost..

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.