243AI with 1-10 twist which bullet?

Coyboy

Just picked this gun up, wears a 28" douglas?, 3 groove. Was sold to me by the owners son. His dad passed, so he didn't have a lot of info to share.

I know alot of you guys have been playing with this cal. so what would be the heaviest LD I should try? I don't want to spend a great deal of time trying to experement with different bullets. I'm looking for an "old reliable" load that will give the best long range results with my 1-10 twist.

Thanks for any help, Jim

No question whatsoever... the Hornady 87 grain VMAX. It's BC is .400, which puts it over the 95 grain Nosler BT--and it lives up to the .400 BC in flight, as I and others have tested and seen.

There is no other bullet I'd choose for a 1:10 twist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dan

I agree the 87 Amax is a good choice, the 85 gr GameKing is also a good performer out of my 243 AI wearing a 1-10, medium range bullet, though.

I only have the 243, but I've had good groups with the 100 grain Speer sbt's

24 cal./6mm Spizter BTSP
Part Number Caliber
Wt. Gr. Wt. Gm. Box Count Bullet Coefficient
1220 24 cal./6mm 100 6.48 100 .430

Sectional Density
Diameter in. Diameter mm Construction
.242 0.243 6.17 Conventional

Thanks guys, sounds like the 87 gr v-max gets the nod.

I envision this gun for varmits, so the need for a "deer" bullet is unnesasary. As long as it hits the little ones all will be well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck if you can get that 87 V Max to shoot in the .243 AI . I have used nearly 2 boxes and still can't get consistently good accuracy with reasonable velocity . Anyone who knows the secret load please share .

Full agreement with Bush..Never could get the 87 grain Vmaxs to shoot less then a inch. Speer 100gt boattails on the other hand 1/2 inch with h414 and WLR primers. Good luck!

Well I guess I'll have to try everything on the shelf. I ordered the 87v and 95 bergers. I have 55bt, 65 and 75 v-max along with 107mk and 105 a-max. Man I stock too many bullets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Coyboy,
I agree with others either the 87gr V-Max will shoot or it WONT. the bullet to try with your combo is the Berger 90grBT it has a B.C.of .410 it shoots awesome in 1-10" to 1-12" barrels, if you try the 95grVLD 105's or 107smk's disappointment will follow.
UB

I have tried and tried the 87 gr VMAX with decent groups but nothing spectacular. I'd look at the 70gr. Nosler BT. If you can get the velocity it will out perform the 87gr. out to about 600yds. I'd also consider the 100gr Sierra Game King and maybe the 88gr. Berger MEF. I don't think any of the VLD's will stabilize with that twist.

Lance

Thanks, uncleB, I'm going to work on it this weekend. We'll see what I can come up with.

UncleB ,
I'm with you on the 95 Berger VLD . I've read that it has to be driven under 3150 FPS to shoot accurately . Too slow for me when I could easily get 3300 .
Best accuracy I have found is with the 80gn Berger Match driven at 3400 FPS by 45.5 gns of H4350 . This is maximum in my rifle . Next best has been the 55 Nosler at 4030 FPS with Varget .
Coyboy ,I have tried 75 V Max and 70 Nosler BT . Both showed some promise at velocities under 3500 but nothing special if driven faster .
Doubt that you have any chance of stabilising the 95 Berger VLD , 105 A Max or 107 SMK in a 10 inch twist . Don't go there if you don't want to waste time .

Bushchook, Thats why I asked, good info, I'll keep to the mid-weights. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.