243AI or 6mm-284?

msalm

Here's a question for some of you folks. Building this rifle for my brother-in-law as a 'bonus' for doing a bunch of work on the house last summer. I've got a Stiller Pred single shot action (short), and a 31" Rock 5r 6mm 1-8tw barrel. I also have about 500+ fireformed brass and suitable dies for the 6mm-284 and since I already supply his 'reloading stuff' figured I'd use that brass.

So onto the question. Is that 1-8 twist going to tear up bullets if I choose the 6mm-284? I am curious how fast you can shoot the 105 A-max and if the 284 is just 'too much'. Other option is the 243AI, but I don't have the dies or the huge supply of brass.

Which would you choose? Barrel life shouldn't be a big concern as he's just a plinker, and wants a rifle to shoot to the far side of the field on coyotes behind his house (and to show off a little I'm sure).

Lets hear your opinions.

If you're loading for him you don't have to be on the "edge" of velocity for the 6mm-284. You could load it down a bit to make sure the Amaxes stay together and get really good brass life. 105s at 3200 from the 31" barrel would be flat and VERY easy on brass. Why buy more dies and brass when you already have what you need? With the 1-8" twist you could shoot the 115 DTACS which are really cheap and have an amazing BC. (I've heard .575-.595) Those at 3200 would fly even better!

Kind of what I was thinking...for the most part I was just curious if there was any negative I hadn't considered. I'm sure we'll load it to see what it's 'capable' of, but the standard 'load' we settle on should be a bit more sedate....

Of course who has ever had a little HP under the hood and not wanted to let it loose just a bit every now and then... Any ideas on vel. with 105's at max with the 284 case? The DTAC will be worth a look too.

The fact you have the 6/284 reloading stuff is probably the deciding factor. I have a 6 / 284 10 twist and like it, but if I had a new 8 twist blank laying here for it,, it would go on as a 6mm br. Might want to look at the velocities the br will do with a 105. A good friend of mine has one and it is very impressive even at 600 yards.

Just food for thought.

Jeff

Sure, mention the 6BR and remind me that I have a ntn 6mmBR reamer sitting in my drawer.... On a single shot Stiller Predator... Your RIGHT, that would be what to do if it were MINE. But I'm not buying him Lapua 6mmBR brass when I have hundreds of 6mm-284... Maybe I should find a different barrel for himlightbulb:D. Guess I'm not a very good brother-in-law. He wanted a 220 Swift initially, but I told him I wouldn't chamber one when I also had hundreds of 22-250 cases and the AI reamer for it....I do have a heavy fluted 25ish inch blank sitting here too, but that is a 1-8 twist 224 and I didn't think that would go to well on the 22-250AI and the bullets available.... If I'm wrong on that one let me know and he can have a fast, flat shooting 22-250 AI as I have all the loading dies for that one also.

Now I guess, which would you choose? I suppose I could leave it up to him, but he'll look for my input.

Here are his wants... A REALLY accurate gun, and one that is flat shooting that he can deck a coyote at 450ish yards off the back porch (prone/bench/supported of course).

Given the two barrel choices above and use, what would you do???

Thanks for any thoughts!

the 6 / 284 but with the 8 twist and a 105. But he will need to learn to dial the scope past 300. Maybe that is not a problem for him, I keep thinking of my brother inlaw.. LOL

Jeff

Matt, you know I'm a big fan of the 243AI, but in this case I would deffinatly go with the 6x284, just because you have all that brass available.

I'm sure you'll find a load pretty quick that will shoot much better than your brother in law can.

Load him up a pile of it and he won't have to bother you until the 500 are gone and he needs a barrel.

Here's a question for some of you folks. Building this rifle for my brother-in-law as a 'bonus' for doing a bunch of work on the house last summer. I've got a Stiller Pred single shot action (short), and a 31" Rock 5r 6mm 1-8tw barrel. I also have about 500+ fireformed brass and suitable dies for the 6mm-284 and since I already supply his 'reloading stuff' figured I'd use that brass.

So onto the question. Is that 1-8 twist going to tear up bullets if I choose the 6mm-284? I am curious how fast you can shoot the 105 A-max and if the 284 is just 'too much'. Other option is the 243AI, but I don't have the dies or the huge supply of brass.

Which would you choose? Barrel life shouldn't be a big concern as he's just a plinker, and wants a rifle to shoot to the far side of the field on coyotes behind his house (and to show off a little I'm sure).

Lets hear your opinions.

With a Rock 5R 1-8" twist barrel you might get the 105 A-Max to shoot for a couple hundred rounds with a 6mm-284 but eventually you will end up shooting the 107gr SMK because it is the only bullet that wont blow-up at 6mm-284 velocities.
Unfortuneately on my last 6mm-284 1-8" twist barrel I made the worst choice and got a Pac-Nor 3groove, it would not shoot the 105gr V-Max EVER. I did not even have one bullet go through the chronograph intact, I was able to shoot a hundred or so rounds with the Berger 105grVLD before blow-up's but IMO if you are going to shoot the 6mm-284 plan on shooting the 107gr SMK ,not as explosive as an A-Max but MUCH better B.C.
UB

You could probably do close to 3400 fps at the top end with a 30" barrel and 105 A-Maxes of 107 SMK's.

Or 95 grain SMK's with a close BC 100+ fps faster.

Well no more quandry on this one as I had a spare moment last night and the brother-in-law was anxious to see his gun built so we fit and chambered up his barrel last night......in 6mm-284. I'll source some 107 SMK's and we'll work on it from there. Was really nice that a '0' headspace with the guage ended up being a good crush fit on all my fireformed brass I have for it (4-5 hundred cases!). I told him this was similar to a 16 year old new driver a Corvette for his first car....just not right. I'm getting a wood 'blank' from Joel Russo though, so he'll have a hand in making the stock...in fact he'll have a LOT of his own work in this thing.

And another note for Tyler, you're a very helpful fellow, but I'd like to know, have you ever shot or loaded for a 6mm-284???

You might give the Berger 115s a try. While they are not as speedy as the smaller bullets, they have a very nice BC and open up very well at long range and do very well at short range (150 yards).

Thanks for the info on the load, I'll make a note of it and try it out. I may give the longer Berger VLD's a try also as it is a single shot and loading should be OK.

As for the brother-in-law, I'm all full up and don't think I can afford any more!:) Hell, I have three nephews that will be coming of hunting age soon and will be needing some deer rifles... Already built my daughter a sweet little 6.5 Grendel on a CZ 527 though, she's only 3 years old but already wants to go hunting with Dad!

Buffalobob, just caught your comment, and as above, I was thinking the same thing!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.