243 wssm and 115 grain bullets,

timmyatnop

Hi everone I've tried to get some help on the gunsmithing forum ,not much luck though,... ok here goes,this is my delima ,I have an a bolt in this caliber and I wana shoot 115s .. my rifle has a magazine that pops open on the bottom of my stock. There's room behind it when its shut ... If I load 115 to fit this magazine the bullet will be even with the bottom of the neck. Will this affect accuracy if I have to load them this way. I would like to keep this rifle a repeater . I think this mag could be lengthened some so I can load , 115 bullets a litttel longer. somebody out there has to have some sort of idea on what to do here .

Last edited:
I'd check your COAL (cartridge overall length) first. Your chamber may be cut shorter than your max magazine length. How far you seat the bullet off of (or into) the rifle lands will probably have the most effect on your accuracy (along with proper powder charge).

But to answer your question, in my experience having the bullet seated only as deep as the neck wouldn't "hurt" your accuracy. My dad had a 7mm sendero that had a throat burnt out and we had to seat the bullets way past the max magazine length to get them to shoot well. When we did that it shot really well, probably 0.75 MOA or so.

Good luck.

I'm no smith, but the first thing I would check, is the twist. Most factory .243 WSSM came with a 1-10" twist. You will have trouble stabilizing the 115 with that. I got a Winchester Model 70 in a Stealth, .243 WSSM, and the heaviest bullet I could get to shoot was a 95 grain. When I found the sweet spot, it'll put 4-5 in the same hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.