.243 winchester load/barrel breakin 2 part question

lefty15

I just bought my son a Savage .243 winchester youth rifle for graduating his hunter educatuion class. This will make him eligable to hunt this fall, and I am so looking forward to this. My son has been coming hunting with me since he was 4 years old so now that he will be able to carry a gun and shoot stuff is very exciting for both him and I.
Part #1
Anyways I want to shoot 85 gr Barnes TSX bullets out of this gun. Do any of you guys have a load for this bullet/powder combination that has worked well for you? Also I see alot of loads on the internet with a Federal 210 primer. I have a decent supply of Federal 215M primers would these primers work for a load in a .243? Any help would be great.
Part #2
Also I have seen alot of different points of view on the proper barrel breakin procedure. What do you recommend for breaking in a new rifle barrel?

Thx

Last edited:
Good choice on bullet, they hit like a hammer. Also don't hesitate trying a Berger 95 gr. hunting VLD. Each has seating depth guidelines so pay attention to that. As far as loads you can get loading info on Barnes website and Walt Berger will send you loads for his bullets as well. As far as the primer you can use the 215 but you will have to use less powder because it is a hotter primer. I would stick with a 210 or any large rifle non magnum primer. Midway has a few different ones in stock. If you reload then break in your barrel with David Tubb's Final Finish. I use it with both factory and custom barrels and it works great. Midway carries the Final Finish but I order it directly from Superior Shooting Systems. Their technical support is very good. Good shooting with your son!!

My experience with the NECO fire lapping bullets is that they make the rifle easier to clean but don't do much if anything for accuracy. I've seen as much as .040" of throat wear from using them. In my opinion firelapping is the last resort for trying to save a barrel that should be replaced.

The TTSX is an excellent bullet choice. The RL19 and H4350 load data on the Barnes web site will get you started and may be all you need.

I don't recommend a magnum primer in the .243 or any non-magnum cartridge unless the load manual calls for it. Non-magnum large rifle primers work great in a .243.

Fitch

37.5 of I 4064 and 38.0 of varget and the 85 sierra bthp . both loads shoot 3/4 inch or less out of every .243 i have tried. killed a bunch of mule deer with it. i would not use mag primers in the .243 raises velocity , pressure , ES , and bigger groups genrally

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.