243 win w/105g AMAX questions?

remingtonman_25_06

Was thinking of the 243 w/ the 105g amax for a LR coyote rig. What kinda velocity can I expect out of a 26" tube and the 105g? Also, will the factory twist of 1 in 9 1/4 or whatever they are, stabilize this bullet?? Just ran the numbers for the 105g at 3000fps and it looks pretty good out to 800 yards. It matches my 25-06 w/the 115g btip, but does so with less powder, and "should" be more accurate. Also just cheaper to shoot and what not. Let me know what you guys think.

Sorry have nothing really to add, other than I am gonna be purchasing a .243 in the next month with the intentions of shooting that bullet. And reading the reviews of the bullet on midway most said they could shoot it in the 9 1/8th twist barrel that comes on Savage rifles. I would like to know how fast you can shoot it also.

I shoot the 95 Berger out of my savage and I get 3180 fps out of it. The BC is .513. I shot a yote yesturday at about 100 yards running straight away. I hit him in the *** and it came out midway down his spine. the exit hole was about 8 inches long by about 3 inches wide. the one I shot today was at 336 and I hit him in the chest looking straight a me and it exited just in front of his hind leg. The hole was about the size of my fist. I also shot a buck with this bullet at 286 yards. The shot was broadside and the bullet went in just behind the shoulder and exited leaving a 2 inch wide hole. He dropped within 25 yards.

The weather has warmed up here and the yotes and fox are out in force. Yesturday I saw 7 fox and 3 yotes within 2 hours and today I saw 3 yotes and was only out for 20 minutes.

I wish I had my shot gun today. I had a yote jump at a mouse in the snow just as I pulled the trigger. The bullet went over him and scared him. He ran straight towards me but I didn't have and extra rounds on me so I ran to the truck, grabbed a round and ran back to the dirt mound I was hiding behind. When I got back there he was still running full out in my direction and just when I got a bead on him he jumped into the creek that was about 30 yards in front of me. I jumped up on top of the mound just in time to have him jump out of the creek not ten feet in front of me. We were both startled and with him being the faster between the two of us, he was back in the creek and gone before I could get my 243 back on him.

[ QUOTE ]
I shoot the 95 Berger out of my savage and I get 3180 fps out of it. The BC is .513. I shot a yote yesturday at about 100 yards running straight away. I hit him in the *** and it came out midway down his spine. the exit hole was about 8 inches long by about 3 inches wide. the one I shot today was at 336 and I hit him in the chest looking straight a me and it exited just in front of his hind leg. The hole was about the size of my fist. I also shot a buck with this bullet at 286 yards. The shot was broadside and the bullet went in just behind the shoulder and exited leaving a 2 inch wide hole. He dropped within 25 yards.

The weather has warmed up here and the yotes and fox are out in force. Yesturday I saw 7 fox and 3 yotes within 2 hours and today I saw 3 yotes and was only out for 20 minutes.

I wish I had my shot gun today. I had a yote jump at a mouse in the snow just as I pulled the trigger. The bullet went over him and scared him. He ran straight towards me but I didn't have and extra rounds on me so I ran to the truck, grabbed a round and ran back to the dirt mound I was hiding behind. When I got back there he was still running full out in my direction and just when I got a bead on him he jumped into the creek that was about 30 yards in front of me. I jumped up on top of the mound just in time to have him jump out of the creek not ten feet in front of me. We were both startled and with him being the faster between the two of us, he was back in the creek and gone before I could get my 243 back on him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your load?

I'm shooting the 105 Amax out of a 26" tube at 2940ish. I'm slightly over Hornadys listed max for Re-22.
The bullet box says 1:9 twist right on the outside so I would think 9 1/8 or 9 1/4 would probably work.

Chris

I shoot the 105gr A-max for my 243AI fireform loads. They are just over 3000 fps in my 27.5" barrel. I am using 40gr of H380. You could rechamber the 243 for the Ackley and pick a little more velocity and less case stretching.....I shoot the 105gr bergers at 3250 fps...I could push them harder, but I just havent't had the time or weather to see what they can do. The load I use now is very accurate, and deadly on deer and antelope. I plan to use the A-Max's for prarie dogs this summer.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.