.243 Win TSX vs Etip vs HPBT on deer or hog

Shootin4fun

I have developed an accurate load for 85gr TSX in front of a .243 Win (~3180fps) but heard that they might not open up well on deer unless they hit shoulder bone.
Has anyone tried the 90gr Etips, or otherwise know about Etip expansion and accuracy?
For the zones that do not require lead free bullets, I am wondering if the Sierra 85gr HPBT Gameking is a good choice, or will it splatter too much if it hits bone?
Has anyone here taken a deer or hog with any of these? (Assuming the HPBT is too soft for a hog.)

Where did you hear that they don't open unless bone is hit? It's a light bullet going fast. My wife has shot quite a few deer with her 243 using the 85gr tsx. All boiler room shots and all dead deer.

I think it's the other way around. TSXs open up fast in flesh as long as the terminal velocity is high enough (get the minimum vel for that bullet from Barnes tech support). Bone impact can deform the tip, preventing hydraulic expansion. But the the deer has skeletal damage, which should put it down quickly.

Where did you hear that they don't open unless bone is hit? It's a light bullet going fast. My wife has shot quite a few deer with her 243 using the 85gr tsx. All boiler room shots and all dead deer.

^^^^ Exactly what I wanted to say, I've given a good bit of advise based on my experience with Barnes (X, TSX, TTSX, MRX). I (almost) always advise using a light for caliber Barnes @ high velocity for as close as possible to perfect performance; which is where (IMH0) the 6mm 85grn TSX lands. This bullet has a good ESTABLISHED reputation out of the .243, the one caveat is the poor bc.

If you were shooting one of the old 95grn X-bullets out of a 243 (where I started), I would highly recommend the neck or shoulder shots. That situation has been all but eliminated with the advent of the 85 TSX & 80 TTSX the latter of which I'm going to experiment with out of a 12" twist 6mm AI @ about 3600fps:D.

You have a good combo there, I would have the utmost confidence with it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't found it on the Barnes site or elsewhere, so I'm still wondering what velocity a TSX needs to be going in order to expand properly assuming a flesh shot. (Bone should make it expand almost regardless of vel, right?)
Better than .5 MOA @ 100 yrds, 3200 fps MV.
Accuracy and shooter ability assumed, can I take a deer up to 500 yards with this load?
I'm more confident of the consistent accuracy of my 243 than my BAR in .270 which is loaded with 130 gr TSX.
Still new to medium-big game hunting, I have not taken any game with this 243 load yet but I expect to this year.

Dont quote me on this but I believe that it is 1800 fps for proper expansion. I will do a little research and see. I shoot 100 gr Barnes TSX out of my 25-06 and it has smoked every mule deer that I have shot with it.

Looked back in my notes. I had called a Barnes tech guy..Thad Stevens is what I have down. He said that the bullet will expand at 1600 fps but not effectively. For effective expansion, he said the bullet needs to be going around 1800 fps or faster.

the etip is made out of guilding metal which is harder than copper so it actually needs more speed to open up like a Barnes would. i think nosler says 2000 fps for proper expansion. the Barnes will do wonders for you.

1800 fps makes sense for .243. For larger and slower calibers Barnes designs for about 1700 fps. The OP is GTG out to 500 yds even at sea level.

Also do not expect TSX or TTSX bullets to expand if they hit bone. Of the tip gets filled with bone material or collapses upon impact with bone, it will not expand reliably nor come apart like a lead bullet will. The wound channel will likely be larger due to accelerated bone fragments, however. Also the skeletal damage may put the animal down regardless.

I just want to ad my 2c.
I live in South Africa and hunt with the 90gr e-tip in my .243 win and it launches at 2980fps out of my 22" barrel. I have taken Impala, Blesbuck and Springbuck up to 309 meters without fail and with good penetrasion and expansion.
Regards
Jurgens

1800 fps makes sense for .243. For larger and slower calibers Barnes designs for about 1700 fps. The OP is GTG out to 500 yds even at sea level.

Also do not expect TSX or TTSX bullets to expand if they hit bone. Of the tip gets filled with bone material or collapses upon impact with bone, it will not expand reliably nor come apart like a lead bullet will. The wound channel will likely be larger due to accelerated bone fragments, however. Also the skeletal damage may put the animal down regardless.

Just curious where you get that info. I have only ever recovered 1 Barnes it was a .280 remington shot at basically pbr. 10 feet at most. I recovered it in 4 parts at different extremities of the deer. Trust the skeletal damage will put the animal down. Probably 50 or so animals that haven't taken a step since i moved to shoulder with the tsx and ttsx. I. had to track a couple when I first moved to them shooting boiler room. Not anymore. Still curious about the reliable expansion thing. They will fill the freezer regardless. Shoot the shoulder put the animal down.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.