.243 win load

I have a ruger m77 in .243 win and it has a 1:9 twist. I'm loading 95 grain smks .020 off the lands and getting just over a half inch 3 shot group every time. I'm using IMR 4350. Wondering if trying to get it tighter with a factory rifle would be a waste. Any other load info would be great. I also have 95 grain berger vlds and 87 grain hornady varmint.
Any help would be great thanks
Matt

82, my son has a model77 MKII stainless with the factory laminate stock. He loads the 95gr Berger VLD with H4350, 210M primers and is under MOA at 200 & 300 yds. I bedded the stock and free floated the barrel and he had the trigger reworked to 2.5 lbs. Seems to work well, but the 105 VLD did not. He was given some 87gr Vlds which he needs to try.

[Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a target competition shooter who does not worry about jamming a bullet:

.010 into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds.040 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds.080 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds.120 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:

.010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds.050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds.090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds.130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards).

quote=Dosh;1113061]82, my son has a model77 MKII stainless with the factory laminate stock. He loads the 95gr Berger VLD with H4350, 210M primers and is under MOA at 200 & 300 yds. I bedded the stock and free floated the barrel and he had the trigger reworked to 2.5 lbs. Seems to work well, but the 105 VLD did not. He was given some 87gr Vlds which he needs to try.[/quote]

I was just reading that VLD's can be real picky about jump measurement and that you have to do alot of testing to get the jump just right from the lands or they don't live up to the accuracy they should get.

Here is what I was reading as far as testing to find the sweet spot.

Rupe

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts