.243 Win. factory load recommendations?

Triggernosis

Any suggestions as to some of the better factory loads for a .243 Win. for both long-range, particularly something that I could both target shoot with and hunt deer/antelope with.
So far I've only tried Hornady Custom 95 gr. SST and Rem. Core Lokt PSP in 100 gr..
The Core-Lokt's shot really well at 100 and 200 yds., but they aren't necessarily a longer-range bullet being flat-based and all.

Any suggestions on others to try? I know I'll have to try each in my individual rifle, but there's no need in fooling around with the wrong bullet to start with.

I have tried the Hornady Vmax with good results (am not sure if available in a factory offering though). Then reload if necessary would be my suggestion on that. Also, if the Core lokt is working well for you, give them a try at the longer distances you want in order to disprove if they will or will not work. A thought anyway. Good luck.
1kstr

The 75-gr. V-Max IS available as a factory round, but that would be a bit light for longer-range shooting, wouldn't it? (wind-wise, I mean).
I'll try the Core-Lokt's at distance and see how they do. I'd love it if they did well, as they're usually the least expensive factory round on the shelf.

Thanks for the recommendations.

I don't know if it's still available but years ago I shot the Federal Premium loaded with a 100 Sierra Boat Tail softpoint. I shot deer out to 375 yards and never had to track them over 50 yards.

I have shot the corelocks and they are a very good bullet. sometimes not the most accurate and they are not made for elk but they play havock on deer. I would suggest an corelock to a hunter. Never tried them at long range though. I have a friend that shot a deer at a little over 400 with a factory loaded 80gr. federal soft point and he only made it a few yards. It punched all the way through.

i have shot a lot of deer with .243. none were all that far. none with factory ammo. for factory ammo: the hornady light mag 100 grain boattail . if it groups well .

for shooting factory ammo i like federal for rifles and shotguns i use to shoot the 95 grain nosler ballistic tips with good sucess and any of my freinds that shoot a 243 shoot the nbts

Federal Premium offers a loading with the Barnes 85gr TSX that shoots really well.

I use core-lokts in 100 grain and have nailed a few groundhogs at 400 yards. I'm still struggling to push past 500 or 600, and I'll let you know if I can get good groups (once i work out the wind issues... and get a target big enough to find my shots).

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.