.243 ? Which bullet?

Kevin Ballowe

I've always used a .25 or 6.5 for deer... and just about everything else.

Have had this .243 sitting around here for years and really only used it for the occasional varmint.

So I'm wondering.... and thinking.... why not use it for deer?

But..... which bullet?

If you have enough twist to stabilize them, the 107 Sierra has done well for me on antelope this year. If your rifle does not like the 107 then I would try the 85 Sierra Game King as they have served me very well in the past.

Jeff

I don't own a 243 but I loaded bullets for one for a friend of mine. We chose H4350 and 95 Btip. He killed 2 pronghorn, 2 Kansas whitetails, and a Colorado muley with these loads. Then, he and his wife took it to New Brunswick and they killed 2 or 3 black bears over bait with it. No failures, just dead animals.

I would recomend the 80 to 90 grain bullets because of velocity and twist rates of most
rifles.

I personally think the 243 is a little light for the traditional chest shot if you don't wan't/like
to track them. how ever, if you shoot them in the neck it is an excellent cartrige for deer
and will drop them in there tracks.

I have seen a lot of deer killed with the 243 and the neck shot is the one I recomend
based on past results.

Use a bonded core bullet like the Accubond and you will not be dissapointed.

The 243 is more than accurate enough for this type of shooting.

I know people that traditionally shoot them in the chest and have good luck,but I still
recomend the neck shot with the 243.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

The 105 Bergers are one of the best bullets I've seen out of a 243, shoot them in the shoulders, behind the shoulder, don't matter cleans their clock!!! Even works good on elk!

The 85 grain TSX works great for the wife every year, I have yet to find one in any of the deer she has shot. I have a buddy who only hunts with a .243 and has killed 10 moose with it, he waits for them to step forward and drills them through the ribs just behind the leg/shoulder. Shot placement is key.

Berger is now offering a 87 gr VLD in 6mm that bears looking at. Especially in factory twist barrels. I've had excellent results on whitetails with the "hunting" VLDs in several calibers and can't see why it won't be true of Walt's new offering.

Kevin I have used the 243 to kill a few deer and hogs. I have had great success with th 80gr TTSX as well as the 95VLD. I would also look into the 90gr scirroco if your rifle will shoot them. Also been hearing great things about the 90gr Etip and GMX if they shoot well. Good luck!

My former daughter-in-law is shooting her Dad's old 30-30 with the straight stock and it's thumping her a bit. Also, the darned thing isn't very accurate.

I thought maybe she could use this .243, instead.

It's in a laminated stock with one of those 1" squishy recoil pads, topped it off with an old Leupold 3-9 that was rattling around the loading bench. Virtually no recoil. She's an avid hunter - she gets a couple deer every year and two deer this year, so far. Pretty decent shot for someone that doesn't shoot much.

Another option would be that I have two #4 contour barrels that have been sitting here for a while. One 6.5 in #8 twist and a 7mm in #10 twist. Could always make up something I suppose.

I went fishing thru my 6mm bullet stash and the only hunting bullets I have are 87 grain softpoints and two boxes of 95 grain Hornady SSTs. Not even sure where those came from.

This .243 is very accurate...... maybe I should keep it and just give her that old Swede that's sitting in the back of safe #2... :)

I've really been impressed with the 95 Grain Hornady SST. It's much tougher than I expected. I shot a charging 250 lb hog in the face with the SST and it drove through his skull, down through his neck and into his vitals. I've also killed several deer with the SST without a problem.

i have recently started shooting berger 95vld bullets in my 243. i have notice increased accuracy from 100-500yrds. i dont recommend shooting a deer at 500yrds but the deer i have shot this year at 250yrds and in showed i made a good choice. i also had good results with nosler 95btips

Last 2 bucks I shot were dead on arrival using 95gr Nosler BT. 150 & 200 yard shots.

As mentioned in earlier post, the SST is an exceptional bullet for shooting medium sized game. I used it for some time in my rifle. I am now hooked on the Berger bullets. I have killed two deer with my 308 and two with my 243. The 243 shoots the 95 VLD's sub-MOA out to 350 yds.

As far as performance, the furthest any of the deer ran was a 130lbs doe shot with the 243 at 215yds. The bullet performed flawlessly! I found the bullet in the far side of the hide, I haven't got a chance to weigh it yet. Upon impact her front legs buckled and she managed to push, herself with her hind legs, 15 yds further.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.