243, what twist for 105-107g

happylilcuss

So I am gettting a new rifle and it has a 1-10 twist. Will this work for 105-107grain lead? If not what would a 1-10 shoot well on average?
I see a ton of custom guns with from 1-7, 1-8 twist barrels and obviously they work very well. So why doesnt rem, win, tikka, weatherby, browning, or howa use this twist in over the counter rifles? The offer between 1-9 1/8, to 1-12 so I am confused on why the disparity between otc and custom?

The 1 in 10" twist didn't work for my brother's .243WSSM,using the Lapua Scenar 105 gr bullets.They all keyholed.So we tried them in a .243 Win with same twist----same results!

Heaviest bullets they liked were the 85gr Sierra HP's.

But I realize your results may vary!

----Gnarly

Sounds about like I figured.. I dont understand why the manufacturers do this.. The 244 rem suffered from this same problem in its early days from what I understand. It came with a 1-12 or something and wouldnt stabilize the heavier bullets then rem came outwith the 243 and a 1-10 and was more friendly... So why not just go with a 1-8? Does it overrev the lighter projectiles? If so than I guess I understand the manu's trying to find middle ground.. But why would anyone rather shoot lowe bc bullets.. Maybe if they are hide hunting i spose.. Anyway rant over.

The slower twist rate is good for varmints and pronghorn. For 100 + grain bullets you will need a faster twist.
My son's Savage (1/9) loves 100 gr bullets and my 700 ADL (1/12) only likes 87 grain bullets (or lighter)

I've heard of some bullets coming apart in fast twists. Most of the general public doesn't have any clue what a BC is and just choose the round nose with the shiniest lead on the tip...

the 1:10 twist in 243s is best suited to the 80-85 gr. bullets and if you want to tack drive the 100-105s the ol 1:9 twist does a swell job stabalizing those bullets.......................

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts