243 W/105 A-max/Superf

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by sendero72, Oct 28, 2011.

1. sendero72

sendero72 Well-Known Member

Shot my first small buck testing the 105 A-max using the Superformance powder. Range was 297 yds and the bullet passed thru both shoulders. Turned the heart and lungs into mush. Exit wound was only about 1/2 inch wide. MV2980. Load was 43.3grs Superformance, CCI 200LR, bullet seated .005 off the lands. I think it will be very good out to 400 yds or so. Rifle is a Savage model 11 with a 22" barrel.

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

Cool there must have been a bit of fragmenting to take out the heart and the shoulders. Did you take any pics Id love to see them?

3. sendero72

sendero72 Well-Known Member

No pics...camera is in the shop and didn't even think about my cell phone even though it takes crappy pics. I have read articles that the A-max is slightly better than the Berger. Berger just spends more money on marketing and sponsors the long range hunting shows. Just good business on Bergers part.

4. smoked

smoked Well-Known Member

i bought some 105 amaxes and was wondering what powder i might try, i forgot about the superformance, looks like i will give it a shot in both of my .243s, im glad you shot a deer with them and it performed well, now i wont be nervous to try it, i was going to work up a 500 yard max on deer load.gun)

5. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

God I have never heard that said before. I dont think its right no question the AMAX work but better than the Berger.......... No i dont think thats true.