243 to 7mm-08???

chad44

I'm having a 7 08 built and cant find any brass. It wont be done for a while so Im not it a hurry. I have read that I can make my 243 brass into 7mm-08. just use a good lube and run it thru a FL die. any reason I can't? I trust the opinions on this site more then others. I have also heard a 308 can be necked down also but I have a lot of 243 cases.

I'd be worried about thin neck and tension issues...but I've never done it and know others have. It seems I've heard they'll step it to a 260 then the 7-08. I know it's common to neck down 308...the only issue you'll have is the case being a little short after its resized.

I agree with NTH-if you shot your 243 the least bit hot or just a lot, that brass flows like crazy so your walls would have to be thinner than original. I never had any trouble getting 7-08 brass but have not tried lately. Just got 280 ackley brass recently.

I can't find it anywhere. I did find lapua 308 brass tho. I'm not in a hurry anyway. My build is a year out. Hopefully the manufactures will catch up by then.

If you go ahead and backorder it at Midway, I can't believe you won't get it within 3 mons. Also found stuff not available elsewhere at ballistic products.

Not until it ships. I had a 280 ackley trim die ordered in March-reddings fault for not making and shipping to midway until Sept. I have the die and am using it but don't think I have been charged yet. Balistics does not have the brass, looked after I mentioned that to you.

Just buy some factory ammo of the brand you like their casings. You need proper ammo for sighting in that rifle....to break in the barrel...etc...etc. AND you have the casings left over to reload

Just buy some factory ammo of the brand you like their casings. You need proper ammo for sighting in that rifle....to break in the barrel...etc...etc. AND you have the casings left over to reload

thats what I do when I can't get brass. Noticed that Brownells has 280 ackley brass now so probably should get another 50 pcs. When you shoot singles it goes far. I intend to hit and kill with first shot. LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.