.243 Seating depth

greener280

I have a .243 in a REM 700 CDL when I seat a 95 gr Berger VLD to the lands the jacket of the bullet is only into the neck about 50-60% of the total neck length. Any opinions.

I havent got a chance to shoot it yet. Just got it bedded and trigger adjusted. I will be loading up a load tonight and shooting it tonight. figured I'd start .015 off the lands. Any suggestions on powder I was going to try 4350

In my Rem 700 243 using 95VLD's, w-w brass, 46.5grs. IMR7828ssc, and 215m, Im getting 3090fps and .445" 3 shot groups @ 200yds. I found the best seating depth was a 0.050 jump. I used Bergers method of finding the sweet spot. Using a comparator gauge the length to the lands was 2.290". I load them at 2.240". I screwed around with a lot of seating depths before I finally took Bergers advise. Try it, it works!

I'm shooting the 95's with H-4831sc and couldn't be happier.

48.0 grains seated at 2.84" (touching).
Average velocity is 3151 fps.

You've heard the rule of thumb but sometimes you must seat out further because of a long throat. I feel as long as the bullet doesn't move when chambering then round then you'll be okay. I single feed mine, but you'll also have to consider length if they're going into a mag.

Good luck.

TAC

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.