.243 reload questions

emp1953

Years back on a midwest hunt with an outfitter my prize Rem 700 .270 didn't make it due to airlines baggage issues. I was handed a Rem Mohawk Model 6 in .243 with which I took 2 mulies with one shot each. The rifle was a pleasure to carry in the hills. So recently I bought a Rem model Seven in .243 and am having a devil of a time working up a viable white tail load. The model 6 had a very short barrel as is the model Seven. The mulie load used 100gr nosler partitions. I stocked up on 500 of those. I have 8 pounds of 3031 that I use for the .270 and 30-06. Given the current cost of components (and scarcity) I'd like to use what I have. I've tried powder weights all around the recommended 35gr of 3031 and have surprisingly poor accuracy at 50 yards.
I put 85gr factory ammo through it and all the rounds shoot through the same hole at 50 yards. My thoughts are that the barrel of the Model Seven is too short to stabilize the longer 100 gr bullets. Valid theory or not? I can't see how the old Mohawk was able to drive the 100gr bullets 200 yards with stellar accuracy and I can't get the same performance out of the Model Seven.

Anyone have any suggestions? I want to keep the rifle. For whitetail I want to stay around 95gr - 100gr for bullet weight.

This was from last week. It was my first rounds of Reloading/ load development. I don't remember how much powder but I was using 4350 and 105 grain betters just touching the lands. I'm extremely green and really excited with that group from a 243 that my dad bought me when I was 12 from a pawn shop in grand junction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 75
Go to 4350 powder. Either IMR or H with a .010 jump to lands and you should see improvements. The Nosler 95gr Ballistic tips with that should work well...or your 100gr partitions.

Last edited:
You might want to try 80gr partitions maybe your barrel just doesn't like 100grainers. I know I'm probably going to get shunned for saying such things but you may want to try an 87gr. Vmax I've had excellent results with them on both white tail and mule deer. A buddy of mine took his girlfriend out just last night and she shot a big muledeer buck with them. 97yards and the bullet broke the first shoulder and stopped just under the skin on the oposite side. Idk its up to you but I've had great results on everything except one coyote wich I shot it dropped I went over to get it it jumped up ran through 500yards of stubble field leaving about a 1 foot wide blood trail. ?????? Still perplexing to this day

Your model 7 has the same twist a barrel length as the 600 . try 95 partitions. or 95 cbt. i use varget and I -4064 for accuracy and I/H 4350 for a little more velocity. i load for 6 different .243s. lapua brass and 210m primers. where are you hunting Whitetail?

for a deer load my 243 with a 10 twist loves 80g factory blue box federal. at 400 yrs the 80s are still over 2300fps and 940 ft/lbs the 100s are 1980fps and 870 ft lbs. doesnt seem like much but the 80s are 8inch flatter shooting. currently i am only hand loading 75 and 87vmax with H and IMR4350. both shoot great.

I know it's not a 243, but I have a model 7 in 7mm-08. Last year I could barely keep my groups under 3" with that rifle. Just when I thought I had it shooting good, my groups would open up in random directions. I almost brought it to a gunsmith, but decided to tweak it myself first.

I ended up removing the pressure points from the end of the stock where they were touching the barrel. I bedded the last 1" of the receiver, recoil lug and first 1" of the barrel with JB-weld and have had excellent results. Before bedding, I placed a small piece of copper wire under the recoil lug that raised the end of the barrel out of the stock enough to be able to slip a piece of paper under the barrel.

My latest target is attached. I do love the rifle. It is such a great gun to carry.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 61
I'd agree with your approach except that the rifle drives tacks with lighter (shorter) bullets.

EMP- it does not have to do with the length of the barrel or twist rate that the 100 grain partitions are not shooting good. try a different one like a sierra or hornady . the 9 twist remington easily stabilizes those 100 grain bullets. even a 10 twist sako will too. or you could try a different powder too.

I agree. I love partitions but some guns just dont. A gun that doesnt like a particular bullet like yours and the 100 grain partitions doesnt mean that it doesnt like all 100s. Id give sierras or nos bts a try. there both great whitetail bullets in the 243. If your gun wont shoot either of those well it probably just doesnt like 100s and that can be caused by barrel harmonics as much as twist. Ive also seen groups cut in half with a differnt powder and even a differnt brand of primer. I also agree with the suggestion to bed your stock and float your barrel. It sometimes does wonders and seldom hurts accuracy. One more bit of advice. Never go out and buy a gun and then buy 5 boxes of the same bullet knowing that thats the bullet your going to use. Buy one box and see if its a bullet your gun likes. My shelves are full of boxes of full and partial bullets that never worked out. I usually dont get rid of them because it seems when i do i end up picking up another gun it that chambering but it is alot of money sitting idle.
EMP- it does not have to do with the length of the barrel or twist rate that the 100 grain partitions are not shooting good. try a different one like a sierra or hornady . the 9 twist remington easily stabilizes those 100 grain bullets. even a 10 twist sako will too. or you could try a different powder too.

Understood. I'll be able to get rid of the partitions, and probably make a few bucks on the deal. I would expect a longer barreled rifle to be a victim of harmonics. This 18 inch tube doesn't touch wood til the recoil lug. Paper slides through easily. I've been able to keep my components "generic" thus far. IMR3031 for my .223 30-06 .270 8mm. I was hoping to continue keeping it simple. Partitions in all.

Noslers in my handguns, 2400 in my 44mag (rifle and pistol), unique in everything else.

The old dog needs to learn new tricks.

EMP- not all whitetail are created equal, the ones in alberta/sask cost 7k to hunt and weigh 350 pounds. the ones here push 46 to 90 pounds, i have kilt them with 70 balisitic tips. lots and lots of good deer bullets out there . partitons are one of my favorites but they don't give great accuracy . on game i like them . you might consider changing to varget as your ONE powder when supplies allow. the model sevens i have loaded for shot real good.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.