.243 Rechambering Questions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Elarski, May 5, 2003.

1. Elarski

Elarski Member

Knocking around an idea in my head...let me know whether or not I shouldn't be traveling down the road I'm on.

I have a Sporterized Mod. 98 which is begging to be rebarreled. I might have access to a new short chambered, fluted S.S. barrel in .243, can it be easily rechambered into something that will yield good accuracy at longer ranges? Or should I just pass on this barrel?

Thanks,
    Elarski [​IMG]

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Depends on the neck diameter of the short chambering, and the concentricity of the short chambering. It is very hard to chase a poorly aligned short chambering. Have your smith coaxially align the bore just ahead of the neck, and then check the chamber alignment.

3. DANTEC

DANTEC Well-Known Member

best way to be sure to clean all the chamber ( 6 REM is smaller than 243 base ) is to use the 6/284 that a real power house and accuracy is not too bad

good shooting

DAN TEC

4. Jim/Iowa

Jim/Iowa Member

I believe my 243 is losing the grouping (or I am)so I was thinking of doing something with it and a 6.5-06 and a 6.5-284 and a 260 has been suggested. With a whole bunch of 243 bullets I am thinking 243AI. What would be the best twist rate if I wanted some down range shooting? I find it diddicult to get decent groups with 100 grn. The rifle is a Parker-Hale wich has a Mauser action and 1-10 twist.
    Jim

5. Jim/Iowa

Jim/Iowa Member

Do we have a spell checker on this board I need one

6. Guest

Guest Guest

The 1 in 9 will stabilize a 105 A-max past 1,200 yards, done that.

7. HondoJohn6508

HondoJohn6508 New Member

Elarski,
    One cartridge you might consider is the 6mm Remington Ackley Improved. Would fit well in your 98 Mauser with few, if any, problems. Just a thought.

Ol' John

8. Jim/Iowa

Jim/Iowa Member

S1
    Thanks for the input, could you recomend a replacement barrel mfg. for a 243 AI?
    Thanks
    Jim

9. Guest

Guest Guest

I would say for the heavier .243 bullets, the Lilja 1/9 or 1/8 3 groove has performed the best, my second choice would be Kreiger.

If I was trying to maximize bullet terminal performace for hunting with large bullets, I would opt for the 1 in 8. If I was punching paper, looking for that last 1/16 MOA in accuracy, and shooting some lighter bullets also like the 75 V-Max, I would opt for the 1 in 9 twist.

I usually stock some barrels in 1/8, and 1/13 in .025 taper with flutes if you need something in a hurry.

10. Elarski

Elarski Member

Thanks for all the info gentlemen. I passed on that particular barrel, but I've heard a lot of good about the 6.5 x 284. I'll probably go that route. [​IMG]

11. Randy in Va

Randy in Va Well-Known Member

Elarski,

I concur with S1. Lilja 1/8 3 land barrel does wonders for my 17 lb 6 shooting 105 Bergers. I think the 3 land is significant.