243 OCW test using H4350 Need opinions

I'm shooting a Savage model 11 with a 9.25 twist, 22" barrel, loading 105 A-max with 44.5 grs of Superformance, seated .003 of the lands, CCI LR200 primers, Win cases. MV 2970. Shoots .75 at 200yds. Shot 2 deer this season and the Amax past thru both shoulders at 300 yds. I don't think you will get to far past the 3000 fps with a 22" tube and maintain accuracy. If you run the numbers I should have no problems with a deer at 500 yds as long as I do my part. Good luck!!

Update

Went back to the range with some more rounds. I loaded at the same OAL and the same bullet. I started at 40.3 and went up .3gr to 42.1. Still have the same extractor marks bu that is the only sign of pressure I have seen. I am not too worried about that. I am thinking about taking the 41.8 load and working on the OAL with it to gain accuracy. What do ya guys think?

35ir7n6.jpg

210gcas.jpg

jr8vfa.jpg

23ljp8l.jpg

opacfa.jpg

33zahia.jpg

687biu.jpg

In OCW terms the 41.2gr. group would be the "scatter group". According to OCW theory, if you go up 1 1/2%-2% in powder charge weight from the "scatter group" you will find another node or OCW group which is 41.8gr-42.02grs. Looks to me like you may have a winner at maybe 41.9grs. You should see what the group looks like at 300yds, though to see if you are stabilizing the bullet! In my quest for the perfect "OCW" loads or any other for that matter, you gotta shoot farther than 100yds. I do all my initial testing at 200-300yds, minimal! Of all the lessons I have learned at this site, that has been one of the best!

The range I use for load testing has a limit of 200yds. The closest range to me past 200yds is a little while away. Will I be able to see if they will stabilize at 200?

Either your chronograph is off or your about 10k psi over pressure. A 105 at 2.78" in a 24" barrel, I've seen strange things but that's in the territory of a 26-28" barreled 243AI with about 49grns of RE25, somethings a little off!

I chronoed some other rounds just before to make sure it was working properly and they were fine. I'm gonna back it off a bit to see if I can get the ejector marks to go away. I should be able to get 3k out of it anyway.

Maybe its just a change of powders. I used H4350 on my load developement. And I did not see satisfactory results.

My Final load was H4831SC 40.5 gr. 105 Berger VLD Hunting, not jammed. Federal Match Primer, and Lapua Brass.

My rifle has a 1/8 brougthon barrel .243, 24". Chamber was cut with a custom reamer tight necked at .269 from PTG, specifically made for 107 SMK or 105 VLD.

Dont go for speed. H4831 is a slower burning powder, 4350 is hotter. Im very sure you can stabalize your load. start low on powder charge and increase little at a time. I started at 40.0 with 4831 and my groups was open. as I started to increase powder charge they got way lot better as speed was increased. I settled for 40.5 of h4831sc for the 105 vld and 40.6 H4831sc for 107 SMK. I hope it helps

If you are looking for the OCW load you should be looking at the 40.5-41gr. load. The 40gr load shifts the point of impact and the 40, 40.5, 41.0 and 41.5 are all within 1moa. I would try 40.7 and seat the bullets +.005 and -.005 and see what those do. The whole concept of an OCW load is to be in the middle of a point of impact node so to speak. I would also shoot them at at least 200 if not 300yds. as well.

I think you are way up there in pressure to get those velocities. Your chronied loads show it too. Notice the 70fps increase, then only 20. I'm sorry, but I think you are missing the boat here on what a true OCW load is. Your loads are also 2 grouping which is a bullet seating issue in my experience. If you must, shoot the 40.7 load while adjusting seating depth, but I still think even that's too hot. Go to 200yds too. The holes in your 100yd. targets don't look at all keyholed to me. I recommend going back to around 39 and adjust your seating depth.

I wen back to the range. I started at 37.3 and worked my way up to 40. Found some good results from the round robin shooting. Now I am gonna chrono the loads that looked best and look at seating depth to gain the accuracy I want. Thanks for all the input

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.