243 load suggestions

KPB71

Here is my Pro Hunter just got it back from the gun smith it's a 1:7 MGM barrel @28'' a walnut forend and stock and a hanger bar system. I Have on hand

103grELDX
90gr ELDX
87gr VMAX
95gr Partitions
95gr VLD
H4350
IMR4350
will be using it for Antelope, Varmints
IMG_3970.JPG

The 95 grain, HVLD or, Classic Hunter Berger's at, 3,100+ FPS, will get it,.. Done !
So will, the 103 ELD-X's And, the 95 gr. Partitions will, ALWAYS "work" but not, great accuracy past about,.. 400-500 yards.
The 87 V-Maxes are, too "explosive" ( Hard on, the Meat ) and may NOT, "Penetrate" deep, enough,.. IMO
Use the H-4350 as, very Temp Stable.
My 1-7.5 Twist, 6 XC shoots, "Bug Holes" in the 3's with, the 95 Classic's and 108 grain, Elite Hunter, Berger's.
I'd look, real hard at those,.. 103 ELD-x's, too !

Last edited:
I should clarify…of those listed only 87 vmax is going to give any kind of "drama" on varmints and antelope have tremendously thin skin, fragile bones, and weigh very little. I've never hunted them so take that for what it's worth haha, but I've also never heard of anyone losing one because of too light a gun or lack of penetration.

H4350 is sort of a standard for .243W. Your rifle does not suffer from magazine COAL constraints so I would tend to load as long as possible. Other powders that work well in the .243 W that are more available that H4350 & IMR4350 are Ram Shot Hunter & Magnum, Alliant 4000MR & StaBall - I have had good luck with all of these.

I have used the 87VMax for many years. I blew 87 VMax's up with a 6mm-06 8 twist, at estimated velocities about 3675. The 87 VMax bullets have shoot extremely well thru my 8 twist 6mms at lower velocities. Out of your 7 twist I would go for the longer bullets for antelopes but would give the VMax 87's a try for use as a varmint bullet. I have had real good results with the 95 VLD that has a lower form factor in comparison with many heavier bullets.

My 12 year old, grandson used, an 87 grain, HUNTING-VLD Berger, in my .243 Win Tikka with, a slightly reduced load of, IMR 4895 ,@ 3,000 FPS to shoot, a NICE, 3 X 4 Muley at, 265 Yards, a few weeks, ago. One Hop and,.. DRT ! The bucks Insides were Mush and NO, Meat loss !
We use, the 87 gr. V-max as a "Companion" TARGET Load that, he Practices with and I use for,.. Varmints, ONLY.