.243 load help

Terry I would try a couple loads with the IMR 4831 and IMR 4350 and see if anything groups a little better. If not I would try the hunter again but play with the seating depth. Also you should really measure the lands and I usually start about .050 off the lands with barnes. You can then try your most accurate load a little closer and further from the lands to see if it helps tighten them.
yes I loaded with imr 4350 + 4831 vihtavuori n540 + n135 + n150 ramshot tac + big game + hunter + RL 15 AND 19.. In ladder loads I think one will work good (I hope)

My personal experience with the 85 barnes and the 243 win is to start at .050 off the lands with bullet seating and you will be amazed. hope this helps.:)

My personal experience with the 85 barnes and the 243 win is to start at .050 off the lands with bullet seating and you will be amazed. hope this helps.:)
I will let you know . We have had lots of rain and wind so have not had a chance to get out and see what works yet. been to a lot of sites and no one has a real good start point so I will post up and some day it might help some one

For Christmas I recieved a new Rem 700 Varminter 26 inch 243. For breakin and sight in since I just put on the scope last night during Monday night football. I'm using what was tried and true in my other 243. Speer 87 gr. HPBT super explosive .006 from the lands in front of 45.2 grs of H4350

this rifle has an adjustable trigger so I'm going to read the book and figure out what feels the best to me.

The scope is a 6X24 50mm mil dot lighted reticule Harris bi-pod.

A243092.jpg

Last edited:
that looks real nice..the Speer 87 gr will not work for me I need lead free ( DAMM CA ).. but it looks like its going too spreed to other states .. then I will have alot info for the states that start it up

NO good groups with the barnes at all. All 7 were over a inch at a 100 yards . great groups out of the 87gr hornady (lead) so looks like this will be a range gun .

NO good groups with the barnes at all. All 7 were over a inch at a 100 yards . great groups out of the 87gr hornady (lead) so looks like this will be a range gun .

I really wanted to dial mine in so I bought a rifle holder called a Lead Sled from Cabellas. i also got rid of the 6X24X50 mm shown in the picture and bought a 6X24X60 mm mil dot scope. i've got Hornandy 100 gr. boat tails zeroed in and right on 200 yards with right at 1 inch 10 shot groups.

45 grains of Rel-22 or 43 grains of H100V. Now I need a chrono. I've shot nearly 500 rounds in three outings and the 18X12 gongs at the range are no problem at 400 and 500 yards.

Terry I saw that you were in Solvang. I'm supposed to meet up their Mid March with a group of about 40 Vettes for a run up 101

HI
I lod for .243 using horandy 100gr Rn with IMR 4007ssc at 38gr's and at 100 yrds get a grouping of 5 under a quater. we had been working with different powders and bullet weight for about 3 months until we found this.
gun)

I really wanted to dial mine in so I bought a rifle holder called a Lead Sled from Cabellas. i also got rid of the 6X24X50 mm shown in the picture and bought a 6X24X60 mm mil dot scope. i've got Hornandy 100 gr. boat tails zeroed in and right on 200 yards with right at 1 inch 10 shot groups.

45 grains of Rel-22 or 43 grains of H100V. Now I need a chrono. I've shot nearly 500 rounds in three outings and the 18X12 gongs at the range are no problem at 400 and 500 yards.

Terry I saw that you were in Solvang. I'm supposed to meet up their Mid March with a group of about 40 Vettes for a run up 101
Is it a harly ride? If so need to run hwy 154 loop and stop at stage coach but yes I'm in solvang I have a towing co. so if any of you have a prob. hit me up I will help as best as I can. Or just stop and and we can get a soda. always good to put a face to someone (SENT YOU A PM WITH OUR #)

HI
I lod for .243 using horandy 100gr Rn with IMR 4007ssc at 38gr's and at 100 yrds get a grouping of 5 under a quater. we had been working with different powders and bullet weight for about 3 months until we found this.
gun)
yes we went thrue alot of ammo over 200 round's to get a great group I got 4 in a dime on the last group I will post up the load info and exact bullet used after I get home tonight

Terry, LOL Mid March with a group of about 40 Vettes (Not Harleys) I don't know if I will make it because it is a 1000 mile round trip from my house.

Last edited:
TF
You might try the Berger 100gr Match.... just to see what happens.. If your .243 Win is not shooting IMR4350 it would be one of the few that wouldn't, and I mean few. The other powder that work very well in shorter barrel .243's is Hodgdon Hybrid V 100 as stated, start with {43.7grs} behind your Barnes... 80gr to 85gr bullets.
I'd also really look hard at the Nosler 90gr E-Tip bullet... it a sleeper.
just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.