243 for coyotes?

What do you mean "get out to 500 yards with it"? With a 100 gr. bullet, just lay down and shoot it!

I agree Tom,

But around here there are not many places for you or I to do that. It'd be more like rest across the hood or mirror or roof of your truck and just shoot.

Mike Alford

gun)
my friend would like to use his 243 for coyotes and would like some advice on how to get out to 500 yards with it. could anyone help him?
I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF RIFLE YOU ARE USING BUT YOU CAN USE 65 GRAIN V- MAX MADE BY HORNDY BULLET. THAT WILL HELP GET OUT OR CLOSE TO YOUR 500 YARD MARK.

:D
gun)
I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF RIFLE YOU ARE USING BUT YOU CAN USE 65 GRAIN V- MAX MADE BY HORNDY BULLET. THAT WILL HELP GET OUT OR CLOSE TO YOUR 500 YARD MARK. THE OTHER THING THAT WILL HELP YOU IS VAIRYABLE SCOPE. ISHOOT 22-250 WITH LEUPOLD 6.5- 20 SCOPE IT HELPS ME TO GET OUT 400 TO FIVE HUNDRED YARDS IF WIND IS PERMITING.

I have a rem.700 VLS in 243.win 8.5-25-50 leupold varment rec. shot a yote at 632 yards last winter with a 65gr.vmax and varget powder

Last edited:
does he need a reticle scope?

Bullet drop recticle? No - the divisions are too coarse to be useful for coyotes at that range. He definitely needs a rangefinder and a scope with knobs that can be twisted after getting the range and referencing a table. At 500 yards the bullet is coming down at quite an angle. If he doesn't know the range +/- 15 yards or so, he will miss.

The suggestion to practice, lots of practice - is a very good one. It's a lot harder than folks think to hit a 3" circle at some inexactly known distance like 500 yards, first shot from a cold zero.

Fitch

I have been using a Leupold varmint hunter reticle in a 4.5-14 and the Zeiss Rapid Z in a 3.5-10 a lot this summer shooting p-dogs. I really like my Nightforce scopes, but my pocket book isn't deep enough to support a high end scope on every rifle. I put varmint hunter reticles on my two primary coyote rigs and my brother put one on his primary coyote rifle. Our intent is to get away from dialing scopes while coyote hunting.

What I did was tune our loads specifically to the reticle. It looks to me like Leupold developed their VH reticle with a 55 grain bullet out of a 22-250 in mind. I have no clue what Zeiss was thinking about with their reticle past 500 yards. Be that as it may, on paper I am right on on the money out to 500 yards in 100 yard increments give or take and inch. After shooting the reticle on hundreds of p-dogs, I am convinced eliminating dials and going with the VH is no problem to 400 yards. Between 400 and 500 hundred getting it pretty much right is doable with a lot of practice...but there is still some guess work. Beyond 500, forget it...

shooting 500 at yotes isnt easy but its not extremely hard either. Practice a lot and know your gun, a good range finder is a plus too. I usa a 243 primarily for coyotes and have used 55, 65,75, 85, 87 gr bullets with success at that distance. that gun is a rem 700 adl with a bushnell 6-18x50 banner. my farthest kill with it was 782 across a sage flat (75 gr vmax over varget). all I'm saying is practice and know your gun and what bullet the gun shoots best. good luck hunting!

I also shoot 75gr Vmax with Varget (for now) and consistantly shoot 12" steel disks at 800. Faurthest 'yote is only about 650 but there is no reason if you have a quality rifle and match ammo, that you cant take yotes 800-1000 if you practice for that distance. chances are ANY .243 bullet between 50-115gr will work at 500 if you just get your loads right with your weapon. I am personally switching to 105 Nosler Custom Competition HPBTs, should make for some interesting groups at long ranges.

but it all depends on your weapon system and how much you want to practice.

Good luck

I've taken varmints with 1st-shot connections beyond 500 yds. using 17 to 6.5 caliber handguns and rifles. But u have to understand the reticle subtension vs. trajectory system regardless whether it's a multi-stadia reticle or turrets. Here's my 243 WSSM Savage Striker/4.5-14x VX-III/VH reticle. I've taken 2 coyotes beyond 500 yds. with this rig. U also need to have a system that can be applied quickly for coyotes. Here's mine--

IMG_0649.jpg

...range/ elevation reference then windage.

IMG_0650.jpg

I would have to say that you need to practice coyote hunting. 1st of all keep your movements to a min. Next pay attention to the wind. Make sure you set up your stand to have a clear view of the area you are hunting. Also that if you can see wiley he can see you.If you can camo from head to toe. Also camo paint your rifle if you can.Shiny objects stick out to a coyote.Most coyotes are curios and will come to a call just to see what is happening but the are very cautious about it. DO NOT use the same call over and over. They are smart and can pattern your calls and know next time if you missed them that the sound you made last time spells DANGER. When you get to a stand DO NOT make loud unsusual noises to alert the neighborhood that you are there. Talking,slamming doors ,etc. So mix it up and you should be able to get one closer. One other thing is to expect a coyote from the last place you expect them from. Good luck and hope this helps.:)

shooting 500 at yotes isnt easy but its not extremely hard either.
I busted one at 575 weekend before last, but I had a scope I could dial. What I was referring to is shooting critters that are beyond the 500 yard mark (last mark) in the reticle. I know guys who just figure they can hold high when they run out of a way to correct for drop. I don't do well with that approach. Others might be fine with holdover estimation.

I set my .243 up for long range shots by firstly getting a scope that I could dial, in this case it was a Leupold 6.5-20X50VX3 LR, I then developed a load and practiced a hell of a lot with it at different ranges, Exbal gave me my drop chart, I had to validate the drop but once this was done my rifle was very accurate, although I only shot it out to 500yds.

I have since, had it rebarrelled as a .243ai and changed the scope, it now wears a Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 NP2-DD ret. This scope is absolutely brilliant, repeatable optics are a must for long range shooting in my opinion.

I was out Sunday practising some more and constantly hitting a 5 inch gong out at 500yds, once you know the rifle can do it your confidence will grow, you know then that if you miss at long range you have probably made a bad wind call or misjudged the range. Practice, then practice some more but most of all, have fun practicing. Then you will be ready for that 500yd yote and think "I can do this!"

The above is just my opinion of course and some will disagree, the internet is a placce where everyone is entitled to give their opinion, but opinions do, and always will, vary!

Regards

Mr.Smith

Sound logic Mr Smith- confidence (just shooting more). My Rem 700 varmint just got its scope re-reticled and 1000 yd M1 dial. Its a dream. I believe its a better chance with Berger 95 gr VLD bullets. Happy hunting . gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.