243 factory ammo for 1:9.25

npd

I have a heavy barreled savage 243 with 1:9.25 rate of twist I will be using this for an all around rifle from woodchucks to deer. what factory ammo works with this rate of twist. thanks for your time
chris

if your going to shooting deer with the same bullet you shoot the chucks i would try the federal 85 gr TSX they shoot good out of my encore 8 twist and good out of my remmy VLS factory tube but so does the cheap cabela's 100 gr spbt bulk ammo . i wouldn't use a varmint bullet on a deer

JIM

I have a standard taper Savage .243 with a 1:9.25 twist. I don't use factory ammo, but it does very well with anything from a 55 grain to a 100 grain bullet. I agree with npd, if you're looking for a single load for woodchucks to whitetails, go with an 85 or 87 grain bullet, but I don't think you need a premium bullet to do the job.

Sierra 85 gr Game king

I shoot a lot with my 243 in South Africa and have dropped animals from rock rabbit size (smaller than domestic cat) up to Fallow Deer using the 85 SGK. It is a potent little bullet but I am not sure who loads it - you can look at federal premium or sellier and bellot! It would be better to load your own - Mine run at 3300 fps and have not let me down yet.

thank you for your replys. I think I will try the game kings I have heard good things about them.. thanks again chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.