.243 AI build

bohe

Hello Guys,

I have a CZ 550 in .243 Win. and the barrel is close to the end of its life.

Thinking about turning it into 243ai. Just wondering if anyone has built one on this action before or has any advice.

I am also thinking about building an 8 twist .22-.243(already have all the parts).For 80 gr Bergers.

Either one will primarily be for coyotes waaaay out there.Not for fur.

Any suggestions or comments?

Contact Kevin Cram of Montour County Rifles...I'm almost positive he is set up to do CZ actions.

His work is top quality also.

a cheaper way is to simply box the rifle up, and send it off to Pacnor for whatever caliber you want.

a note of the .243AI to think about. When you fire form .243 brass into .243AI brass you will also have a shrinkage in the over all length to deal will. The .243 neck is already on the short side to start off with, and you end up making the neck about .035" shorter. Most guys that are serious about the round form their brass from 6mm Remington or generic .257 roberts brass (6.5x55 will also work just fine). I shoot a 6/250AI, and use generic .243 brass. The shoulder comes out at about 1.514" while the .243AI will be right at 1.56". The velocities are not all that far apart, and brass is easier and cheaper to build. You also might want to think about a 6BR. That one's even easier
gary

I cannot comment on the rifle you intend for the build.

An alternative built on the 243 case is the 6mm Super LR. There is no fireforming, the die alters the brass's final shape. This design moves the shoulder down shaping it to a 30 degree angle and it lengthens the neck.

Both the 243 AI and the 6mm SLR should extend barrel life. The reason is placing the vortex center of the hot gasses inside the neck instead of in the chamber.

You can read about this design here: Super LR

You can also read a ton of reports on it within 6mmBR.com in the forums section under
the title: 6PPC, 6-6.5x47, 6XC, 6 Rem, 243, 6-284

Even if you don't use the SLR design and go with the 243 AI you can read about bullets/loads/performance. I am reading good things about the 87 gr V-max for varminting.

With a 1 in 8 twist you can shoot up to 108s easily and it may even stabilize the 115s.

I had a 1-8" chambered in a 6-284 that stabilized the 115 vlds. The accuracy was amazing.

A 1-8 is plenty for the 115 vld's and if you go with the 243AI you won't be far from where I was with the 6-284. I noticed at anything over 3200 fps the VLD's accuracy went the hell.

one thing I would do before I ever selected a cartidge was to measure the mag well to see just how long a round would fit in there. That's your limit! With the .243 and 250 case and really long bullets you might end up seating the bullets down into the case body, just to get them in the magazine. This is the one advantage the 6BR has over all the others! And there's also the 6BR+.100 and the 6x47 that's built off the 30AR case (there are at least three different 6x47's out there). Varmit for score shooters also shoot a 6x47 that starts out as a .300 Savage case (.243 or a .308 case works just as well). This round is extremely accurate and also pretty easy to make, and is short enough to allow you to fully seat those long bullets out to the rifeling.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.