243 ai and pressure signs

jaybic

Hello folks,

well, I am still workup up loads for my 243ai which is a Hart 10 twist on a stiller Predator action. The barrel is 22 inches and I would like to shoot the 87 vmax.

I have a couple of questions so here goes,

1. I have heard that the 243ai will not show pressure signs as quickly as a standard .243 might due to less case taper. what should I be looking for other than the usual suspects of shiny marks on the case head, hard bolt lift...ect...ect? What is the STOP RIGHT HERE and back off sign that I should be looking for?

2.this is more general reloading. do folks or should I be lubing the necks prior to seating bullets(not during the sizing part. I already do that) and what are the reasons to or not to do that?

3. have any of you fellas that load for a 243ai found it to be a very crabby cartridge to load for? I am not having a lot of luck here so far and while I am no expert by any means, I have been reloading for standard cases for 30 years or so. This is my first wildcat and it apparently has my number...

Thanks for your time folks and have a good day!

Jamie

I only have one AI rifle and pressure is pressure. I look at flattened primers. I have a 243 win and H100V is my powder for 87 and 100 gr

The one thing you will NOT see is hard bolt lift until pressure is well beyond excessive. I have a few AI's, the most significant excessive pressure sign is ejector marks. Primer appearance may or may not indicate excessive pressure, but several other signs should tell you to back off, such as ANY case wiping, sticky extraction (which is different to stiff bolt lift) .
Accuracy? In my experience, the fireforming load will be more accurate than when you fire the fireformed cases, I no longer shoot bullets when fireforming, I load shotgun powder and fireform with a twist of tissue, or for my 375 Weatherby, a plug of soap.
I work up with the fireformed cases testing for groups, there will be a load combo that works, but I've always found that COAL and the sweet spot has made more difference than other factors.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.