.243 AI 107 smks

Jimm, My barrel is a 26 incher in a 1/11 twist. I've never tried the 220 MK although I think they would work well. I do have some of the new 210 MKs headed my way so I'll probably try to work up a load with those first. Cowman

Jimm,
Nice groups nice shooting.

Cowman, i hope i am wrong but those holes look suspiciously like they have been drilled, too round, no cratering and no flaking rust. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Ian.

Now , now ,now , Ian,

Play nice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif Actually ,depending on the type steel involved that is what my holes in some of my gongs look like, as if they were drilled . I remember the first time I shot a piece of high carbon steel that had been spring tempered , when I went downrange to look at it I was expecting to see a sunken hole with ragged fingers of metal out the back. Nope , much to my surprise the hole appeared to have been drilled , sharp edged shoulders , no depression of the area surrounding the hole .

Cowman , my bbl is a 28" but it also has 11 twist . Those new 210's should be the ticket if you can drive them 3000 or better without pressure problems and still have good accuracy .

Jim B.

Ian, The metal in question is light tin from a discarded hog feeder. It is 4 feet in diameter and is handy on those windy days when the wind call for the first shot is never easy. Those are actual .308 holes from a 190 MK at 730ish yards. If I would go through the work of walking out 700 yards and drilling holes(cordless drill would help, otherwise you have to string out sooo many extension cords) I would probably just drill one hole and claim my rifle is a one holer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Disclaimer: This is not a normal day at the range for me..the wind had died down and everything just clicked for three shots, I just had to take the picture. I would have cut it out and carried it around for my "wallet group" but was afraid the sharp edges would cut my *** /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Cowman

Ok Cowman,
I accept your explanation and apologise for doubting your group
Can you see where i am coming from, the holes in gongs i have experienced have always thrown up a burr on the face as they passed through and never a completely round hole,
maybe its because i use a minimum of 3/8" plate but have lately stepped up to 1/2" to stop penetration.
Anyway a very impressive group for 700yds+ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian.

Ian,

The reason your holes are out of round is that the bearings are bad in your
drill. It causes the bit to wobble. I always buy Craftsman drills because
drilling thick steel gongswears a drill out quick but Sears just gives me a
new one."
Lazzeroni.gif

Jimm,
I use Dormer drill bits, the finest in the world made in Sheffield England, but i have a problem seating them deep enough into the case so as not to touch rifling.
Ooh and they #@*% up barrels real quick.
I find those 105 grain SMKs chuck up real true but dont seem to want to cut at all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.