243 Ackley Loads

Austin

Looking for some info on a 243 AI. I just finished a 243 AI and I have never shot or reloaded this chambering before. It is a Weatherby Vanguard action with a 30" Pac-Nor SuperMatch (1:8") and is ready to be fired. Just curious as to what loads anyone out there has had good luck with and if there are any caveats that I need to be aware of beforehand. My intent is to gain as much accuracy as possible and I will be using the Hdy 105's and the Sierra 107's for the most part. Any info that can be posted would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

TH

i dont have my load data anymore but i had good results with h4831 and rl22,with the bullets you mentioned.just use standard 243 data and work up.dont forget to seat hard into the lands when fireforming.fireform loads can also be very accurate.sorry i cant be of anymore help.n165 might not be a bad choice either[it wasnt around when i had my 243ai].my rifle was great,accuracy was superb,but barrel life wasnt great,definitely let the barrel cool for a couple mins. between shots or you will burn it out quick.BTW what brass are u going to use?-my-2-dave

Thanks for the info Dave. I will probably be using WW and RP brass for now since I have quite a bit of it. Once these are shot out, I will look for some Norma or something known to be consistent. This will actually be a "training rifle" for my wife so I can get her ready to start shooting matches, so I don't know how much fine tuning the brass will help her since she hasn't been shooting for very long. Though I think it would definitely be beneficial to me to take such measures. Now, i'm no David Tubbs or anything, but I know that I am capable of making use of the best components that I can get my grubby little hands on haha! Again, thanks for the info and I think i'll start with the 4831 to see what happens. BTW, what twist were you shooting in your rifle?

TH

I would be interested to know what works for you. I am having one built on a remington 700 action. With a lilja 1:8 twist. the barrel will not be here till last of april. So I am trying to be patient.
mad.gif
Will make it in time for rockchuck season.
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.