243 Ackley Loads

fire at will

Hi Guys

I'm new to reloading so please bear with me.

I have a 243 ackley .

Has anyone got a load worked for Nosler 80 grain ballistic tips or 85 grain sierra game kings

I have some n160 powder in stock but i'll gladly buy some other for the right load. I appear to be getting 3/4 inch groups with 49.5 grains of n160 with 80 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. I would like to improve this if possible. I have been using fireformed lapua brass with cci primers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks

Robert

Hey Robert,

No problem at all here. There's some data out there for the 243 AI, but bear in mind that upper level loads for the parent cartridge are usually the best starting point for any of the AI family of cartridges. Depending on the particular cartridge we're talking about (some are more "Improved" than others), there is usally a 3-5% increase in case capacity over the parent case, sometimes more, sometimes a bit less.

Your load of 49.5 grains with the N160 is pretty close to what I'd suggest here, based on the V-V 7th edition Reloading guide, and the 243 Win cartridge. They top out at 48.1 for an 87 grain bullet, but that's a standard cartidge, not the AI version. You should be fine there, and may een have some room to bump up a bit, if there's no pressure indicators so far. Just work slowly, and let the gun tell you what it'll handle.

Good shooting & safe handloading,

Kevin Thomas

My father has had good luck with 51 gr. of AA-3100 behind a 80 gr. Berger. Five shot groups hover around the 1/2" mark and velocity for the groups averages 3481 fps. I can't help you with the Sierra 85 gr. bullets. 3100 might work with those as well. N160 is better suited to the 70 gr. and lighter class of bullets in the Ackley. I use AA-4350 and N160 for the 70 gr. Berger in my 243 Ackley with great results. N165 would be a good Viht. powder for 80-85 gr. bullets in the Ackley. N160 and 4350 work well in the standard 243 but a little slower powder can be used with the Ackley and its greater case volume, especially when shooting bullets in the 80-85 gr. class.

Just my opinion.

Kevin - Are you sure that the data you posted for the 243 came from Viht. 7th edition reloading manual? I ask because your data matches what I show from Viht. 4th edition and it was published in January 2007. I wasn't aware that Viht. had a 7th edition but Hornady does. Just trying to clear up the details.

Kevin

Kevin

Or should I say Kevins' !

Thanks for both of your responses. I will look into the n165 which has been suggested along with rl22.

I will let you know how I get on.

Regards

Robert

Hi Kevin,

Yeah, it was. The 7th edition I mentioned was their latest reloading guide, not a true "reloading manual" per se. Their 4th Edition, as you'd described, is the latest hardbound (true) Reloading Manual that V-V has out. As to how they number their reloading guides vis their true manuals, hey, maybe it loses something in the Finnish to English translation. All I can say is, they make some truly superb powders, and I like 'em!

But yes, the data in the 7th Ed reloading guide is the same as the 4th Ed reloading manual.

Kevin

Vita V 550 and the 80 Berger Flat base or IMR 4064 and the 85 Sierra, great combinations for accuracy in my Cooper

H414 is a great powder for the 243AI, and flows like water through powder measures.

I use 45-46 grs with a Nosler 70gr BT. This is a mild load that shoots mostly 1/2" groups in my rifle, and dispatches small animals "like the Hammer of Thor."

VV160 is also very good, but, being a short extruded powder, it doesn't meter as well as H414.

Thanks Lewis.

I have tried some 70 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips. With h414 and your right .. It metered beautifully I just need to play about with powder a little to get the groups tighter.

Thanks

Robert

I have a couple of different barrels chambered in this cartridge. The 1-10 twist I shoot the 68gr custom match with RL-19 and get excellent results out to 300 then they open up. I also shoot the 80 grainers w/H-4831 in this barrel.
The 1-9 twist I shoot the 95 Berger or 105 A-Max with N-165 and get great performance well beyond the 500yrd mark.
Could not get the that 70 grain Bal-Tip to shoot real tight in either barrel as I had expected to.

That 105 is my pet load.

Lapua brass CCI -BR-2's

75 Gr V-max

48.5 gr H414 or Win 760

Win case

WLR primers

I have been using this load for varmints in My Model 700 VS .243 that was reamed to AI. Groups under 1/2" if I do my part. This loads makes small critter blow up and bigger critters fall over in the tracks.

Robert, Don't forget to play with seating depth. it's amazing how much difference that can make. that 3/4" load may shoot under 1/2" at the right seating depth. my $.02, treeman

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.