243 Ackley Improved loads

G

I'm looking for some load suggestions for the the 243 Ackley Improved cartridge. My Rifle has a 26" Hart barrel 1 in 9" twist. I would like to use bullets from 85-grains to 100-grains. The Nosler 90 and 95 grain Ballistic tip bullets look interesting. What do you suggest for powder. I have tried IMR4350 and have not been pleased with the results. What do you think about H4831SC? Thank you

I use 43.5gr of RL22 behind a 95gr Nosler BT in my .243 Win. Groups are .5 and under for 3 shots. I haven't had a chance to Crony them yet. With the AI allowing a few more grains of powder and that 26in hart it should make for a good combo maybe try the 107gr SMK. Sorry I can't comment on the
H4831SC I have never used it but looking at it's burn rate it is a tad bit faster then R22 looks like it would work very well.

You should try the 87gr. V-Max and 95gr. Bergers. Probably even the 105 A-Max and 107 Sierra and 105 Bergers. I've been using the RL 22 also for the bullet weight range you're looking for. About 45-47gr behind the vmax and 43-45gr behind the Berger. My 30" Hart is a tad slower than the 1-9" as marked.

Lance

Thanks for the the info guys. I have some RL22 and will give it a try, also have the Hornady 87-gr V-Max bullets. What do you suggest for a primer? I have Federal 210, 210M, 215Ms. The RL22 is slow, do you think that it will need a 215M? Please advise.

Every gun & load are unique, but in theory you are not running enough powder to need a magnum primer. If you have a chronograph handy, try different primers, both regular & magnum, and what your velocity & Sd change. It is amazing the effect that primers have on our loads. I personally like the 210M, but not all loads work best with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I also use the 210M. I was doing some load development and getting 34-50 fps es on my chrono with the Remington Primers. Then I switched to Fed 210M's and the es went down to arouns 10fps. Your milage may vary. I was able to load uo to 48 gr of RL22 with the 87 vax in Lapua brass. I haven't had a chance to chrono but I wouldn't be supprised if RL 22 is a tad slow for this weight bullet.

Lance

Sendaro ,
Have tried both the 87 V Max and 95 Berger VLD in my .243 AI without success . Neither would meet my accuracy expectations (5 into 1/2 MOA at 200 yds). Possible that they may be better at lower velocities than I'm prepared to live with . Also couldn't feed the Berger thru my short Rem. 700 mag when seated into the lands as is recommended for VLD's .
Have also tried AR 2213 SC (H 4831 SC) and couldn't get near the velocities that I could with WXR (RL 22) .
I easily got up to 49 gns WXR with the Berger for 3268 fps in my 26 inch / 9" twist . The 87 V Max loads topped out at about the same point but with velocity over 3400 fps .
Would be interested to hear if you find something that works .
Have read good things about the 95 Nosler BT but BC is not outstanding . Some suggested I try the 105gn A Max which I'm told will stabilise in a 9 twist at .243 AI velocities .

Thanks again for the info. I have RL22, and will give it a try with 210Ms. Weather here is bad, below zero and snow up to my butt. Tore up musseles in left forearm yesterday while removing snow. looks like it is going to be a few weeks before I will test fire again. When I do I will post the results. The 105 A-Max did not shoot well in my friends rifle, and that had a 1 in9" twist. Another friend has a 1 in 8" twist and the rifle shoots well with the 105s, and N160.

What kind of loads is you friend using with his N160 and 105 a Max. I've been wanting to try another powder but little info is a big turn off to me.

Lance

I'm looking for some load suggestions for the the 243 Ackley Improved cartridge. My Rifle has a 26" Hart barrel 1 in 9" twist. I would like to use bullets from 85-grains to 100-grains. The Nosler 90 and 95 grain Ballistic tip bullets look interesting. What do you suggest for powder. I have tried IMR4350 and have not been pleased with the results. What do you think about H4831SC? Thank you

To revive an old thread; Because I just got back from the range today shooting my 243 AI, I have this to say about it:

I have taken my reloading data from here: .243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide Scroll to the bottom for Ackley data.

I'm still kind of perfecting the load but so far the 47.5 grains of H4831SC under a 105 Berger VLD have yielded the best results. With this load, I'm getting 5 shot groups around 1.00" at 200 yards. Velocities are averaging 3236 fps. This gun does not seem to care if the barrel is clean or foul, cold or hot. Same results.

I would highly recommend a 1:8 twist if using more than an 85 grain bullet. But a 1:9 should handle the 85's no problem. I am using a Bruno Custom with Krieger HV 26" barrel, Bat Machine action, McMillan HTG stock, and Badger Ordnance Bottom metal, Jewel trigger.

Just like my 7mm Rem Mag, the VLD's like to be seated out to the lands, and it seems the faster you can safely push them the more accurate they are. I am told this is not always the case but so far with load development for two different rifles using Bergers, it has been for me. Fortunately, with these two rifles, the BO (Accuracy International) mags don't limit OAL. Not the case with my 308.

Already took a nice Kansas 12 point white tail in November with this rig. He just bounced off the ground. Only 100ish yard shot though. I really like this cartridge!

Happy shooting,
Be safe.

Lapua Brass: trimmed, neck turned, .270 neck bushing sized.
47.5 grains H4831SC
Berger VLD 105 Hunting bullet
Federal GM210M match primer (hand seated)

Try Lapua Scenar 90 bullets. Am using in a 26" hart barreled Ruger 77 action, 243 AI. Am using 45gr. of H414, is 3/4" at 200 yards. Would like more info on different powders with same bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.