243, 75gr VS 87gr Vmax?

I have used both and prefer the 87 grain vmax with a max load of imr 4831. But thats because my gun likes it better than the 75 grainer. works great for rock chucks, not so great on coyotes if you want to keep the pelt - BIG mess.

I just charted the ballistics of both, including the 4000fps 58 gr and the 75's, it looks like at the 400 yard mark the 87 is going faster the both and less wind drift

So it looks like the 87 4 me

Last edited:
I've shot a ton of the 87's. For the simple fact that they do have less drift. I use H4350 43 gr. lit by a 210 M and get 3170 fps. They take a jump to the lands very well and have impressive expansion even as far as 700 yards. A very consistent performer in my opinion. Not the most fur friendly, but it puts them down. The pics below are from a 720 yard p dog. I've killed plenty of stuff with these bullets. Cheap and accurate.

3_100_0722.jpg

2_100_0723.jpg

Think I like the 87 Vmax. I found that 37 grains of IMR4064 is giving me 1 1/4" @400 yards which is about as good as I am. I have not done a chronograph but I pretty much worry about accuracy anyway. I had some good test with the 58 grain but think a heavy bullet is best.

Last June was my first time to get to prairie dog hunt. I used a Gentner 65 Hollow point which shoots well for me. Most of our shooting was from 400 to 600 yards and I really got to see the effects of wind drift. So I want to return with something heavier this year.

Since I am in Louisiana I appreciate any advice. I hunted in the Newcastle, Wy last year.

I shot some 65gn V-Max's earlier this year in my .243 Win and they did fairly well. At 3511fps they gave explosive performance on crows and groundhogs and accuracy ran .4" with the occasional .3". I pushed them with 39.5gn of Varget and CCI BR2's. When they ran out I went to the 75gn Hornady HP and they were even better. I pushed them with 42.0gn of IMR4895 and BR2's and they were skimming along at 3602fps. Accuracy was even better with these pills and they held their own better in the wind. I seemed to be more consistent with the slightly heavier bullets and my hits increased.
As the deer season approached I decided to go an even heavier bullet for both varmints and deer (which is where the .243 fits in). I loaded up the 95gn Nosler Ballistic Tip ahead of 44.0gn of VihtN560 and the BR2's. This load is moving along at 3114fps and printing .2's. Alot better for defying the wind and busting whistle-pigs. I took one the first weekend of November here in Va. at 580yds. Not real long range but I know what bullet/load I'll be shooting come spring! JohnnyK.

I have been using 70 gr pills for my 243. I started using H380 but it is temp sensitive. I also tried Ramshot hunter powder. Good powder did not have any problems. I was using Sierra 70 biltzking but ranout and tried 65 gr V-max and good groups with Hunter powder 3/4 groups at 200yds. Ranout of 65 gr V-max and tried 70 gr Nosler BT. Good bullets but fouled my barrel bad. More than the Sierras or the V-max. I also tried the 87 gr V-max but on coyotes makes a mess. Also called Ramshot and they told me Hunter powder is better suited for heavier bullets in my caliber. They recommended Big Game powder for the lighter bullets i was shooting . Now i am using Winchester 760 powder with the Nosler bullets with Federal lrg rifle primers and i am happy with it. I shoot a stock Savage Model 10 with no alterations.

I use the 75gr vmax over 41.5 gr vmax and it shoots great out to 550yd(longest burm at my range) going pd shooting this summer hopefully they continue to shoot well

I use the 75gr vmax over 41.5 gr vmax and it shoots great out to 550yd(longest burm at my range) going pd shooting this summer hopefully they continue to shoot well

I think I have the 75 gr Vmax, maybe a box but after seeing what I could do with the 87 Vmax I've started loading it pretty much as my main load. My bragging group is 1 1/4"@400 yards which is good for an old man.

I've had great success with Sierra 70 grain Blitzkings & Hornady 75 V-maxes in my 243 & 243AI.
Have tried the 87 grain v-maxes & they sorta penciled thru groundhogs @500 plus (may have been a thicker jacket lot) ended up with 50/50 draggers. Not so with the 70's&75's.
I used the 70 grain Sierra Blitzkings in my 243AI w/ AA 2700 to get into the 500 yard club.... kills @ 515 & 880 yards were DRT.

Sam, you must have had a weird lot of 87's. I've shot BUNCHES of prairie dogs and coyotes with them out to nearly 800 and have never had a problem with lack of expansion. I'll post some pics later. My load launches them @ 3200.

Sam, you must have had a weird lot of 87's. I've shot BUNCHES of prairie dogs and coyotes with them out to nearly 800 and have never had a problem with lack of expansion. I'll post some pics later. My load launches them @ 3200.
I just picked up 2 box's of 87 v-max for my 243. Would you share your loads with me. Seems like my 243 likes H-414 fore the 95 bergers, and the sierra 85 bthp.
Mke

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.