.243 520 yards? YUUUUUUP!

I just recently did calculations for a 105gr A-Max at 2980fps out the barrel. It was still carrying 883.8 ft/lbs of energy at 600 yards and 754.4 ft/lbs at 700 yards... That is plenty to put a deer down right now assuming a good shot.

Congrats and nice shot! The 243 Winchester is a classic deer hunting round and was obviously well within its capabilities at 520 yards. Just goes to prove that you do not have to have a 7mm+ round to make good efficient kills at over 500 yards.

I also like how you can see that the scope was dialed right in for the range!

As far as I am concerned, someone that wants to bash this combination is flat out ignorant.

LOL. Oh yeah! There are three kinds of ignorance. Normal, willful , and terminal. The first can be corrected with education the last two can't be fixed....that's why Obama is president. Have used the 243 for deer in Arizona and New Mexico for decades and have never had an animal go missing and only one that required a second shot. Great shooting little sister!

LOL. Oh yeah! There are three kinds of ignorance. Normal, willful , and terminal. The first can be corrected with education the last two can't be fixed....that's why Obama is president. Have used the 243 for deer in Arizona and New Mexico for decades and have never had an animal go missing and only one that required a second shot. Great shooting little sister!

Correct you are sir.:D

I am not generally a proponent of long shots on game, but that was really a great shot and perfectly placed.

I met an old man from Montana that killed a big mulie near Turner, Montana at 539 yards using a .243 loaded with 90-grain Speer bullets. He had a Shepherd scope and a range finder.

Many people do not like the 6mm and say it is too light for deer. I have a 6mm that I used to kill over a hundred deer in three years doing damage control for a neighbor. I use Hornady 100-grain bullets at 3000 fps. I shot those deer from up close out to over 300 yards and never had any more problems than if I had been using a 7 mag.

Let me be the first to bash............

My head against the wall for not having my .243 ready this year.
I love the round, great deer cartridge.

Guess I'll use my STW or 300 WM, if not got to lug my 6.5 CM out there.

A well built .243 can be light, no recoil, great ballistics, easy to learn, and very accurate. It's got the juice to kill at distance. So why not?

Congrats to both yall!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.