240 SMK with H50BMG

AKGuide

Just found out my 28" Pac-Nor .338" neck 300 Rum loves the 240s and H50BMG. I was shooting the 220s with retumbo at 3057 but getting vertical at long range. With the 240s I loaded them from 90 grains to 94 using virgin nosler brass with GM215Ms with no pressure signs and would say they may be a little mild. OAL was around 3.655, i use a rcbs mic gauge for testing length to lands. Although with 92 grains and kissing the lands it shot sub .25 moa with a velocity of 2907 and an es of 1 with a .5 sd. These are HbN coated so my data may be a little different from naked bullets. At 94 grains they were going at 2950 but the es and sd were higher es 11 sd 5. Have to adjust a little more for elevation than the 220s but the wind bucking ability of the 240s makes up for that. Now i need a keg with the same lot number, fingers crossed. Just thought I'd share.

Reuben

The 300 rum really does like the 50 bmg class powders for pushing the heavier bullets. We've been using rl50 with the 225 hornady, and have recently tried rl33 with it as the compression on rl50 was rather hefty. I may have to look at h50 bmg if rl33 doesn't pan out as I can't seem to get any I 5010.

I would give H50BMG a try, retumbo works great for my 200 lrx hunting load, but it gives me too much ES and SD with the heavies. I shoot anywhere from -20 to 75 degrees and according to Kirby Allen the H50BMG is pretty temp stable. I have some R25 but use that in my sisters 7 rem mag pushing 175 a-frames.

Reuben

I was surprised myself thought the chrony was on the Fritze till it read 2908 a few times. Only con of this powder is its size and trying to get the right measurement. Most of the time I am a tenth heavy on my weights.

Reuben

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.