2300 Yds. A Very Humbling Experience.

That was awesome! The .338 rocked the metal gong when you had a hit! :D
I liked your hat "Proud to be an American " and the flag flying at the end of the video ---------Perfect !!

Great shooting.

A suggestion, just a suggestion, nothing more.....

What we should all do is get together somewhere with some serious distance (maybe at or around Jeff's place???) or Roy's place and bring the big cannons out and just plink at extreme distance.......

.......something I can't do here even though I have a cannon (still can't figure out why I bought it, my buddy who owns the gun shop where I buy all my toys...guns at is still puzzled he never sold one before and hasn't since.....and then I bought a 50 too......(he knows I'm certifiably nuts)

I can only afford one out west hunt a year and my property in Northern Michigan don't have anything close to even a 150 yard open vista. The best range I can get is 300 yards and thats sitting in the dining room at the club and shooting through an open door.............:)

Reading about Roy bagging an elk in the backyard. I'm envious. I can bag an ocassional possum or a yote if I stalk carefully but anything edible, no way.

However, I sure could afford a target session somewhere with unlimited room and the cannon or cannons. Not that I could hit anything but sure would be fun trying plus it gives me a good excuse to work up loads other than my 223 bench rest stuff and the 308 I usually hunt with.....

I read about you long rangers with envy. I have the tools, just no real estate.

Finally, I enjoy reading about basically out of the box guns doing serious distance, especially a Savage. Not the prettiest face around, but certainly the best smile....

Don't think I'll ever see the need to rebarrel. Not that many go down the tube....

Interestingly, when the thread first came up, I clicked on the video and one of the contractors who is doing the remodel of our second story (my wife is doing urban renewal to the house) was watching in amazement, really amazed that the rifle that I had leaning in the corner just out a pill on a target 2300 yards downrange. He looked at the vid and then the rifle and back at the vid.... I could see he was really impressed, like I was......

Last edited:
That was awesome! The .338 rocked the metal gong when you had a hit! :D
I liked your hat "Proud to be an American " and the flag flying at the end of the video ---------Perfect !!

Great shooting.

Thanks BigBuck. I wouldn't call 1 out of 30 great shooting but at least I didn't
get skunked. Lots of room for improvement.

A suggestion, just a suggestion, nothing more.....

What we should all do is get together somewhere with some serious distance (maybe at or around Jeff's place???) or Roy's place and bring the big cannons out and just plink at extreme distance.......

.......something I can't do here even though I have a cannon (still can't figure out why I bought it, my buddy who owns the gun shop where I buy all my toys...guns at is still puzzled he never sold one before and hasn't since.....and then I bought a 50 too......(he knows I'm certifiably nuts)

I can only afford one out west hunt a year and my property in Northern Michigan don't have anything close to even a 150 yard open vista. The best range I can get is 300 yards and thats sitting in the dining room at the club and shooting through an open door.............:)

Reading about Roy bagging an elk in the backyard. I'm envious. I can bag an ocassional possum or a yote if I stalk carefully but anything edible, no way.

However, I sure could afford a target session somewhere with unlimited room and the cannon or cannons. Not that I could hit anything but sure would be fun trying plus it gives me a good excuse to work up loads other than my 223 bench rest stuff and the 308 I usually hunt with.....

I read about you long rangers with envy. I have the tools, just no real estate.

Finally, I enjoy reading about basically out of the box guns doing serious distance, especially a Savage. Not the prettiest face around, but certainly the best smile....

Don't think I'll ever see the need to rebarrel. Not that many go down the tube....

Interestingly, when the thread first came up, I clicked on the video and one of the contractors who is doing the remodel of our second story (my wife is doing urban renewal to the house) was watching in amazement, really amazed that the rifle that I had leaning in the corner just out a pill on a target 2300 yards downrange. He looked at the vid and then the rifle and back at the vid.... I could see he was really impressed, like I was......

I live in Las Vegas, NV. The area we shoot 1 MIle + is only about 20 minutes from my house which is in the S.E. part of the valley. We are very fortunate to have a place so close that lets us shoot so far.

If any of you will be down this way in the future, by all means, contact me in advance. I'll take you out to shoot some distance.

MDslammer / Mark

Might do that. I'll b in Vegas in the summer, next year for a manufacturers show. Not firearm related but no reason not to bring along the storm case and rifles....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.