230 Hybrid Target Bullet Jump

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Tumbleweed, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Well-Known Member

Need to hear your experiences on how much jump these bullets will put up with and still shoot very accurately. How do they react to .2 - .3" jump before engaging rifling? Thank you!

2. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

I have loaded two 230 gr hybrid target bullets so far. One in my 300 RUM and the other my friend's 300 WSM. In both cases I just seated so the bullets would fit and feed from the magazines.

The 300 RUM has a wyatt's box mag, never bothered to figure out the jump. The 300 WSM is a Browning A-bolt and the bullet is buried in the case. (see pic) Jump with this one is around .140".

In addition to the 230 hybrids I have loaded for a 6mm-284 with 105s, and several 168s in 7mm Rem Mags. In ALL of them the mag box limited OAL. I just seated to fit and feed and they shot tight groups. None required seating depth changes.

I did seat into the rifling with the .338 300 gr hybrid in a long throated 338 RCM in a LA. Had lots of room with box mag. This was the first hybrid I tried after using VLDs for so long. I seated the bullet as one might do with a VLD as was my old habit. I'd bet that bullet would shoot with a random jump too.

I'd say just seat for magazine and give it a try. Tweak seating depth if necessary.

[​IMG]

3. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed Well-Known Member

What kind of groups do your rifles shoot with the 230's seated this way?

4. AZShooter

AZShooter Well-Known Member

WSM three shot groups 1/2 MOA. 300 RUM three shot groups tighter around 1/4 MOA. These are at 100 yds. More importantly when shot at the steel at 500 M they hit where we aim them. Both rifles were put together for longer distance on elk. We ended up killing some with our lightweight rifles and hiking in over a mile in the deep woods where they reseeded a burn with wheat and barley.

Maybe next year we'll get to blast at distance. It all depends on if snow moves them out.

5. Doublezranch

Doublezranch Well-Known Member

I also seat mine just enough to fit them in the mag. My 300 ultra shoots these 1/2 MOA at 200 yards. The 400 yard gong hates this gun with these bullets :D

I haven't tried the 300 grain in my 338 ultra yet. Been shooting the 265 grain Barnes with awesome success.