230 Berger OTM in 30/338 Win Mag

Trnelson

I recently bought four boxes of these. I'm using them in my 30/338 Win Mag. I am in Love. 65.2g IMR 4350 runs 2,800. Shoots into a 1" five shot group at 200. My gun has a 26" Schillen tube on it. COAL is 3.420" which lands right on the rifling and is a single feed only deal. I would LIKE to use a finer powder as weighing each charge rather sucks as we all know. Thrown charges tend to vary .1 to .2g. I have several # of Alliant R-17, which is a little slower and alot finer than the IMR 4350. Anyone have any ideas as to a Safe place to start. Fwiw I contacted Alliant and they said they don't have a barrel in that caliber and good luck and thank you for choosing their products. As a last resort I could just suck it up and buy the chargemaster I've been eyeing for a while now. TIA

I would really like to go there, but I don't think my 11.25 twist will let me. I do plan on trying the 215's though.
If I could shoot them I would first try H1000. It is the only powder I have used with the 210 Berger and it is so good I will probably never use anything else.
If you want fine grain powders I have had good loads with Hybrid 100V and Mag-Pro in other rifles. Both meter very well.
The cartridges that I have used R17 in I began with mid-range IMR4350 loads and worked up. The top loads were scary fast, but they past the most accurate ones.
I will be interested to hear what you end up for a best load. Cliff

That 230 berger is a long range, high bc bullet. If you need a long range, high bc bullet, you also need to weigh your charges. You need consistent velocities and weighing out your powder charges is necessary.

i just loaded up a bunch of the 230s with H1000 for my 300 win mag, stepping up .5 grains at a time. Ill go run them over the chrony this weekend and post results. Im excited about those 230s for long range work, they should buck the wind great and deliver some real power at extendd ranges.

It will be interesting to see what you come with once you run the numbers.

I'm starting to wonder if anything less than a 300RUM has enough horsepower for the 230's to out do the 210's or 215's.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.